Battlecorals Snipes Blue Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was following your thread. The Sun God looks fine too me. But yea, I’m trying to be careful of that by doubling my water change amount to offset it. Luckily for me my nutrient level is always dark dark red.
Most corals still looked good but there were a few that didn't. I even lost the aussie echinata I just got from Adam.

@bubbaque did anyone miss the September posting?
Yes there were a few people who did not post.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn’t a competition I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m just trying to put my tank back on steroids as quick as possible.

I agree with bubbaque on this one. Don't go chasing numbers. Looks like what you're doing is working well. I would just keep that up. Could cause problems making big changes.

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most corals still looked good but there were a few that didn't. I even lost the aussie echinata I just got from Adam.

I’ve lost at least 4 Ice Fires over the years, I don’t think they’re a coral thats sustainable in aquariums.

I agree with bubbaque on this one. Don't go chasing numbers. Looks like what you're doing is working well. I would just keep that up. Could cause problems making big changes.

I never chase numbers. My nitrates and phosphates are always high. I do however look at my corals and when they get too dark I like to do some extra water changes. Personal preference, some of my corals will go a darker green when the nitrates sit too high for too long.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you can miss 2 updates, so no big deal really. I almost missed it as well, but got out of bed and went downstairs, turned the lights on and snapped a pic. Lol

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you post it tonight it will count for October. Remember you can post your pic anytime during the month for it to count. If anyone has a tendency to forgot, just post very early in the month to get it over with.

Having people post monthly keeps the contest active and encourages more conversations, which in turn makes it fun IMO. It also keeps the contest pretty honest. We don’t want anyone to not post for months and then pop up with a giant piece saying it’s their frag when we haven’t seen it in forever.

Last edited:

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you post it tonight it will count for October. Remember you can post your pic anytime during the month for it to count. If anyone has a tendency to forgot, just post very early in the month to get it over with.

Having people post monthly keeps the contest active and encourages more conversations, which in turn makes it fun IMO. It also keeps the contest pretty honest. We don’t want anyone to not post for months and then pop up with a giant piece saying it’s their frag when we haven’t seen it in forever.

Darn it... there goes my strategy!!!!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what bit me in the butt, lol. I felt my tank was "perfect" but then I wanted to get a head start on people by feeding a lot of reef roids. Horrible mistake! I ended up with a nutrient spike which just set me behind.
I think it's more fun to see who can grow the Snipers better with just their general tank parameters and maintenance vs trying to "soup" it up solely for the contest. But maybe that's just me because that's my strategy. :D

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it... there goes my strategy!!!!
I didn't mean that was your strategy and I didn't think it was. It's just another reason why we should post monthly updates.

We all joined this to have fun and some friendly competition. What's the point of joining if people don't post pics of their coral?

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say the only thing I do to my system is run a lot of cheato and when the top get white and the flow slow through the sump I pull a 5 gallon bucket out. No GFO or additive other then the ATI essentials for my two part. Along with some low dollar LED. And my system seems to have pretty nice color and growth. Never check nitrates. Only thing I would like to add to my system would be 2 T5 bulbs.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my strategy is...don't kill it. lol

I feel ya on this one!

Just saw this within the past hour, few spots turning white and has me super nervous. Just hope it doesn't die! My temp has been getting a little warm at 82. Got a fan setup to help.

Also dosed Vibrant yesterday for the first time to help with dinos. I don't have an infestation at all but noticed a few spots of dinos developing so I thought I'd try Vibrant to help. Really wish I woulda left it alone.

It's also on the side that gets less light as well.

Not sure as to the cause yet. Leaning towards Vibrant or the temp getting a little higher than normal.

Few pics. Best I could get. Keeping my fingers crossed.

20181002_172154.jpg
20181002_172350.jpg
20181002_172224.jpg

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it pulls through!

I hope it does too. I won't be out of this particular coral if it doesnt pull through. Really want to stay in the competition though.

I noticed polyps retracted on my space laser piece as well.

I have a Triton test kit in my cabinet. Going to fill that up and send it in to see if anything pops up.

Other than that, I checked all parameters that I can and nothing has shifted over the past 10 days. Not going to do much else to be honest. Just ride it out and hope for the best:)

It's always stressful when noticing issues like this. I've learned to stay calm and assess the situation before reacting harshly. All params are in check so I'll just wait and see how this transpires.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on vacation in Florida for two weeks. Fingers crossed that when I come go back everything is still alive.

Anyone checking up on things for you while you're gone? I want to go on a two week trip in February and am super nervous about leaving things without someone competent checking up on the tank. I got friends I can trust watching the house but don't want them within 20 feet of the tank, lol. Curious to see how others handle this.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back