Battlecorals Snipes Blue Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know it was bad ruler placement the first couple pics I was able to put the ruler on the frag plug. Now that it encrusted it's hard to place it there.

I picked up two gyres to really crank up the flow. Trying to keep the growth going

Having a lot of fun with this it like fantasy baseball but with coral

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15442984705552255077858029902902.jpg
A better pic of mine, than the last minute one for entry. Still not the best, just cleaned 2-3 weeks of growth off the glass. Water is really hazy.
15442985619256717063405946054700.jpg

Not sure who is going to win? Might not test it out.

Sushitheshiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to win too, but I’m really in it for fun. Like I said in the beginning: I want it to be happy and bushy lol It’s reallynice tho that we all get to compare what our frags look like month to month and until the end

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to go out there and wack my frag a few times to get it to grow some branches but now it's got them growing everywhere. Some out top, base and even out that one branch that grew out the back.

Day 1
Snipers blue Day 1.jpg

Contest frag december 19 1.jpg

Contest frag december 19 2.jpg

Last edited:

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to go out there and wack my frag a few times to get it to grow some branches but now it's got them growing everywhere. Some out top, base and even out that one branch that grew out the back.

Day 1
Snipers blue Day 1.jpg

Contest frag december 19 1.jpg

Contest frag december 19 2.jpg
Mine its branching like crazy too
20181219_162433.jpeg
20181219_162447.jpeg
20180921_165538.jpeg

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good guys!

I'm still fighting dinos:(

However, the frag continues to grow. I'll post up a pic this weekend.

In a couple months time, this frag will meet a pink polyp table that is placed a little too close to it. I really need a larger tank as I'm out of room.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are kicking my but. As any woodworker knows this time of year is every waking hour out in the shop and testing got away from me. My alk dipped down to 7 which stalled growth out. I upped the dosing to slowly bring up so hopefully I'll get something going again soon

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to crack a window about 2 months ago to see what it would do to my pH. I ph had consistently been about 7.6 to 7.8 as soon as I open the window my pH jumped between 8.1 to 8.3. Needless to say I had a rapid decline in my alk which took me by surprise. I should have known better , but I didn't think about it. I ended up losing two small Frags that I had picked up from battlecorals because my alk dropped to 6. At the same time I calcium took a plummet and it's been hanging around 350. So I slowly started to inch everything up and both my alk and calcium dosing regimen has gone through the roof. My calcium is double what I'm dosing for Alk. Since everything is started to come back to normal, I've seen a decent jump skin growth, but my snipers frag is still stalled out. My question is, is now the time to add a calcium reactor???

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to crack a window about 2 months ago to see what it would do to my pH. I ph had consistently been about 7.6 to 7.8 as soon as I open the window my pH jumped between 8.1 to 8.3. Needless to say I had a rapid decline in my alk which took me by surprise. I should have known better , but I didn't think about it. I ended up losing two small Frags that I had picked up from battlecorals because my alk dropped to 6. At the same time I calcium took a plummet and it's been hanging around 350. So I slowly started to inch everything up and both my alk and calcium dosing regimen has gone through the roof. My calcium is double what I'm dosing for Alk. Since everything is started to come back to normal, I've seen a decent jump skin growth, but my snipers frag is still stalled out. My question is, is now the time to add a calcium reactor???
You really shouldn't be adding twice as much calc as you do alk, as it's taking up by the corals in the same ratio. Usually when this happens your magnesium is low.

As far as the calcium reactor, they can be expensive to setup properly and could take years to make up the cost with buying two part. I would mainly switch to a calcium reactor if you are tired of mixing up the two part often and are just wanting to simplify it.

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really shouldn't be adding twice as much calc as you do alk, as it's taking up by the corals in the same ratio. Usually when this happens your magnesium is low.

As far as the calcium reactor, they can be expensive to setup properly and could take years to make up the cost with buying two part. I would mainly switch to a calcium reactor if you are tired of mixing up the two part often and are just wanting to simplify it.
Mag is 1400. It's not exactly half. That was more of an exaggerated. I am dosing 80mls of b-ionic Alk and 120 mls of b-ionic calcium.

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking over the recent entries I see that many of the frags are sprouting new branches from all over the original frag. Mine really seems to be putting all of its growth into one new branch....kind of interesting how the growth patterns differ between frags.....

DecSideShot_LI.jpg

I really like it when frags get enough growth to be visible from across the room and The Snipers is starting to become a presence....if you know where to look (I've included a pointer since I'm really the only one who knows where to look):

DecFTshot_LI.jpg

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bubbaque Ok so I’m dealing with AEFW gonna have to frag the snipers blue. How do I continue to measure for my monthly entry if it makes it? It’s not out yet but it’s on the edge of the cliff...

Last edited:

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the progression of my guy. he's encrusted a bit and ~50% taller. I feel he stalled the last month, I have some ideas on why. He's doing fine, but not breaking any speed records. Yet, he's probably the fast growing of the 3-4 battlecorals I got in that order however.

The next month should be more stable (dang bottom of Hanna reagents strikes again).

2018.08.24.Sniper0.jpg

2018.12.26.Sniper4.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back