Battlecorals Snipes Blue Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by bubbaque, Aug 8, 2018.

1. MTBake

MTBake Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Most likely through unethical means;)

I'm dosing peroxide twice a day. 1.5ml per 10 gallons. About 1 hour after lights out and again about 4 hours before the lights come on.

I also dose Vibrant every night at the same time as the peroxide. Following the dosage amount on the bottle.

Finally, I'm maintaining my nitrates between 2 and 5ppm, and po4 between .05 and .1ppm through dosing as well. This dosing is done 3 times per day to maintain levels. 1ppm of no3 and .03ppm of po4 is dosed each time.

I tried each method individually and did not see results. I gave each method 8 weeks to make an effect before moving on the next. No single method made lasting results. So, I decided to combine them all and it seems to be working so far(knock on wood, again)

All dosing is currently done manually. It's kinda tedious and I can't wait to get my doser up and running to take away some of the work. That should be tomorrow if all goes well.

One last thing to add, dinos suck!!!

2. ncaldwell

ncaldwell Active Member

I only got rid of dinos as long as I dont have sand. Tried everything including what you are doing over 2 years. Took the sand out and gone in a week. I tried putting sand in once and i had a massive outbreak within 2 days

3. thaveteran

thaveteran Active Member

New fixture up but without the canopy the tank seems dimmer. 0E9C1FC7-2199-4A4E-94EE-9CCC37D39A9B.jpeg

HolisticBear, marlinmon, TMB and 3 others like this.
  4. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

Nice

bubbaque likes this.
  5. bubbaque

bubbaque Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Looking good!

HolisticBear likes this.
  6. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

I put a kalk stirrer on my tank thinking it would lower my 2 part dose a little bit. I was wrong the kalk stirrer increased my ph to 8.4 during the day and 8.2 at night. My dosing went from 155 mls which kept it around 8 now I am to dosing 165 mls which keeps it at 7.3. I ll probably end up being around 175 mls to get it back to 8 where I like it. Kalk is working better then my co2 scrubber my ph was only 8.2 during the day and around 8 at night. The stirrer has been on the tank for about 2 weeks.

Hemmdog, HolisticBear, ESH and 3 others like this.
  7. Codym808

Codym808 Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Sounds like the higher pH is increasing your growth rate!

8. MTBake

MTBake Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Switching my lighting back to t5/led hybrid for the next week or so. My metal halide ballast quit working today. It was pretty old, best guess is 8 years in service. Surprised it lasted this long to be honest. I'm too cheap to pay for expedited shipping. Hope the new ballast gets here by Saturday. Don't think I'll see it till Monday or Tuesday though.

Hemmdog likes this.
  9. bubbaque

bubbaque Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

It’s nice to see people’s frags turning into colonies!

Frizzles7 and HolisticBear like this.
  10. thaveteran

thaveteran Active Member

Really nice! And looks like a fair amount of people still have their frags. Thirteen posts so far this month and I expect that number to grow with today being the last day of the month.

HolisticBear and bubbaque like this.
  11. Sushitheshiba

Sushitheshiba Active Member

Mine is broken lol just encrusting and no branching still. I’m just happy with the colors and PE. I’ll post a pic later today.

HolisticBear and bubbaque like this.
  12. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Question for the group: For those that bought multiple battlecorals corals when they got the sniper blue, how the does growth rate compare?

My sniper blue has grown 3-4x faster than the Hellboy and Bellicose Trobairitz. That Cherry's Hellboy might be the slowest grower I've ever purchased.

In my tank, I have a few SPS growing faster than Sniper, but not many. It's on the fast side in my tank.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  13. bubbaque

I think only one of mine that I got at the same time has grown as fast.

14. ESH

ESH Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Mines doing the opposite of what I want. The others I got seem to be growing faster.

HolisticBear likes this.
  15. smiley28

smiley28 Hectorj R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Sounds like your corals are really loving that pH which is probably allowing them to grow nice dense skeletons.

16. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Looking good Man
    Great Job!!!
    If this growth continues for you I would try to find a nice camera to borrow for the final pic to give u that extra push to the top

HolisticBear likes this.
  17. kurtp

kurtp Active Member

The Snipers is right up there with the other Battlecoral frags I bought at the same time. The SWK Invalida is growing just about at the same pace. The only frag that is growing faster is the ATL Tulip Milli--which is surprising because I have had horrible success with millis in the past....those that hung in for any length of time did so with minimal PE. The Tulip is so shaggy I really can't see the base colors well. I told Adam about my bad luck with millis and asked him to pick one out for me that might survive the challenges millis seem to suffer in my system, and this thing is going gang-busters

HolisticBear likes this.
  18. thaveteran

thaveteran Active Member

After about 3 months of hell, I think I've finally gotten my alkalinity back stable. Let's see what the frag can do over the last 6 months!

TMB and smiley28 like this.
  19. Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Man, switched from the 3-part ATI essentials to the 2-part Essentials Pro and had 3-5 days of Alk swings that were about 0.5 per day. I was dosing 330 ml of the 3-part, which should equate to about 65 ml of Pro per day, and I'm down to 35 to keep Alk stable at 8.3, Hoping now that it is stable I will get growth back up and my consumption will increase again. It's a shame for the contest, as I felt I was doing pretty well, but I'm sure this will set me back enough to be out of the running!

thaveteran and TMB like this.
  20. thaveteran

thaveteran Active Member

I ran out of the old BRS 2 part in the containers and had to switch to the bags. Needless to say the packaging isn't the only difference. It did not mix the same and my alk dropped low. It took me some time to figure out what was going on.

Caravanshaka likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted