Battlecorals Vivid's Rainbow Acropora - Contest Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through the list again and tried to write down who was suppose to be in the contest and didn't make an update and who made an update but I didn't see their name on leahfish's list.

These were the names on the list that didn't make a March update that I could find.
@Waalker
@Zaven D
@wopadobop
@ptpablo
@Swayne_07
Mykesocalreef - Out of contest
@drawman

These are the ones who made an update but I could not find them on Leahfish's list
@PSXerholic
@ChiCity

Last edited:

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine as of right now. Finally getting some of the green in the new encrusting growth. And the tip isn't white anymore. Liking my progress so far. May not look as nice as some others but its progressing in the right direction.
20180416_162241.jpg

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the low number of updates, I fear many have already perished :( As for my own, I'll snap a pic later this week but we're due to close on the new house Friday. Hopefully the next update will be positive and everything makes it through the move relatively well (I'll be satisfied with not dead LOL).

My only issue with trace elements is our ability to actually trace (no pun intended) the results back to their addition.

Edit: kind of wish I'd done an ICP just prior to the move for giggles (my last is from November).
Doesn't matter. It would may indicate some real low traces that may prevented you from a good growth. Some traces take forever to deplete, but if were depleted months back already, that explains something ;-)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter. It would may indicate some real low traces that may prevented you from a good growth. Some traces take forever to deplete, but if were depleted months back already, that explains something ;-)

I dont know that there is anything to explain at the moment. You certainly have better color than I do but I'm also maxing at 300 PAR right now and with that, only for three minutes a day because of my schedule (I'm not convinced this is a limiting factor in regard to color yet though). I did up intensity by 5% this past weekend but I wont get a chance to realize any changes from that given the move. I've been doing weekly 10% changes (Instant Ocean) and I have been curious to see how other elements have been doing. I've been using magnesium levels to gauge how other levels might be fairing and I've been able to maintain those via water changes alone for the time being but I'm getting closer to the edge there (this assumes other things are depleting at a similar rate).

It's certainly filling out and encrusting well with a tiny bit of vertical growth on the left side (haven't measured but I don't believe the center branch has any to speak of)

Day one (2 Jan)
25592087948_d3132e74f6_b.jpg

Today (16 April)
40613596105_14979c0126_b.jpg

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know that there is anything to explain at the moment. You certainly have better color than I do but I'm also maxing at 300 PAR right now and with that, only for three minutes a day because of my schedule (I'm not convinced this is a limiting factor in regard to color yet though). I did up intensity by 5% this past weekend but I wont get a chance to realize any changes from that given the move. I've been doing weekly 10% changes (Instant Ocean) and I have been curious to see how other elements have been doing. I've been using magnesium levels to gauge how other levels might be fairing and I've been able to maintain those via water changes alone for the time being but I'm getting closer to the edge there (this assumes other things are depleting at a similar rate).

It's certainly filling out and encrusting well with a tiny bit of vertical growth on the left side (haven't measured but I don't believe the center branch has any to speak of)

Day one (2 Jan)

Today (16 April)
Sorry, mixed up the frag. This is actually really nice in growth and color !!!

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Day one (2 Jan)

Today (16 April)
Yours looks like it's about to explode with growth!

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the list who posted a photo on the official entry page for the month of March.

domination2580
Nashorn
TonapahNorth
RUNVS
PSXerholic (not sure if in official contest)
SWSooner
SaltySteve
Josh Kraft
Bubbaque
Snakejacques
Servo
Stylaster
Ksfulk
Caravanshaka
Nola Bear
Karl M
Jason.kennedy.98478 (Out of contest)
Kdino
AAndfsoccr04
Jerrad
Alten78
Tcup25
Da Ghost
Crimsonvice
MTBAKE
Tphill
Newbreefer316
Chac317
Leahfish
Shamless_Dood
Ergodyne
Dmw913
Clownman727
Aabutina
Chicity
rlman41299
Kdino
Counted my name twice.

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Day one (2 Jan)

Today (16 April)

Hot dang, that's nice growth!! wish my was exploding like that!

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here an idea to the group to everyone who attends the contest ;-)

If the folks who do attend this contest and have either the good growing frags or the not so good growing ones, just post a ICP test of your tank and tag me in that post so we can look at the results and may find a pattern on the categories that may lead to good results or may be a reason for not that good results.

I would find that very interesting for sure, and can give my 2 cents for discussion.

Here is the link to my ATI lab results from March 8th. This was about the time the growth stalled on my frag. also had a couple random frags STN from the base up, which is still happening once in a while. I know the nitrates and phosphates are a problem, so I have removed filter socks and increased feeding since then. See any other issues with trace elements?

//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/0321283b7ffe11858817

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are your phosphates and nitrates? And what test kits? Some of my frags looked similar when nitrates and phosphates bottomed out.

I'm pretty sure it's not the nitrates and phosphates bottomed out. My most recent test had nitrates at 32 and phosphates at .09.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back