Battlecorals Vivid's Rainbow Acropora - Contest Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bubbaque that frag looks great! You don’t seem to have gotten much vertical growth, but the color looks great and the overall growth was huge.

My 6 months is up on Wednesday...unfortunately between a nutrient issue and a full tank move, mine stalled out after showing some promise early on. Hopefully with everything stable now it will come back around.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bubbaque that frag looks great! You don’t seem to have gotten much vertical growth, but the color looks great and the overall growth was huge.

My 6 months is up on Wednesday...unfortunately between a nutrient issue and a full tank move, mine stalled out after showing some promise early on. Hopefully with everything stable now it will come back around.
Thanks! Color seems to be slowly coming along and I'm pretty happy with overall growth. It seemed almost everyone struggled with that vertical growth, as long as the ruler was always in the same spot, lol. Now that the contest pics are over for me I'm thinking about clipping the tips to see if it spurs growth from the tips. I think the other branches will out grow the original tip as it is now.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you clip tips do you do all of them or just a few?
I will clip the original left and right ones as those are the ones that aren't doing anything. Sometimes it can spur branch growth.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few days short of seven months.

28804879197_6134c306f1_b.jpg

29824367408_b3c99aa6ee_b.jpg

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a bit more coloration coming out of all my sps lately. I added 2 more T5 bulbs to the 2 I already had. I also use 2 Kessils as well. After seeing the response of adding T5 to the Kessils, I've decided to switch my lighting back to halide/T5. Can't wait to get my new light fixture. I'll post updates once it's worth posting an update, lol.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a bit more coloration coming out of all my sps lately. I added 2 more T5 bulbs to the 2 I already had. I also use 2 Kessils as well. After seeing the response of adding T5 to the Kessils, I've decided to switch my lighting back to halide/T5. Can't wait to get my new light fixture. I'll post updates once it's worth posting an update, lol.

Which Kessils and what are your settings for them?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the 360we over a 40 gallon. Intensity is at 30% and color at 50%.

Had you explored a higher intensity setting on the Kessils? When I was running two T5s with the A360s and I was running 85% intensity (60-65% color typically though I did play with much higher when I had them paired with actinics). Also, how high are they mounted above the water? Much more than 6" and PAR falls off dramatically.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems if I raise the intensity, I get bleaching on the new encrusting growth of my sps. The lights are 8" off the water. Really not knocking Kessils or leds at all. I'm keeping my current lighting for another setup I'm working on. That's the main reason for the switch. I was going to buy lighting for that anyway, so figured I'd swap out what's over this tank instead.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was bleaching? The growing edge of most SPS show different coloration than the rest of the coral. At 30% intensity and 8" off the water, the issue isn't solely the light (and likely nothing to do with the light what-so-ever).

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was bleaching? The growing edge of most SPS show different coloration than the rest of the coral. At 30% intensity and 8" off the water, the issue isn't solely the light (and likely nothing to do with the light what-so-ever).

It was bleaching, then receding. I've tried to find the perfect setting on these things for over 18 months now. This tank is only 1 year old, but had them over my 75 before I took that down. It could be a combination of things really.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back