Battling Cyano with good parameters?

NortheastReefer97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up an Evo 13.5 4ish months ago and have been battling cyano for about a month now. I know it’s likely a bit of new tank syndrome, but I'm getting nowhere, and it just killed my nice chalice. It is especially frustrating as my parameters seem to be quite good and i’m very regimented with maintenance....

Lights are on 9 hours a day, upgraded return pump and jebao wave maker. 20% weekly water change, with a toothbrush scrub on the rocks prior and using the wc hose to suck it off the sand. Using Redsea test kits and coral pro salt.

Water parameters as follows:

Current:
Temp: 78f
Sg: 1.024
Po4: 0.02
No3: 0.5
No2: 0
Am: 0
Dkh: 9.5
Mg: 1240ppm
Ca: 440ppm

Parameters as of 5 days ago:
Po4: 0.01
No3: 10
Dkh: 9.6
Mg: 1260ppm
Ca: 450ppm

Parameters as of 10 days ago:
Po4: 0.03
No3: 5
Dkh: 9.3
Ca: 420ppm

Parameters as of 3 weeks ago:
Po4: 0.02
No3:
Dkh: 9.5
Ca: 440ppm

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano can get nitrogen from the atmosphere so 0 ish nitrate can aid them as it is bad for their competition. 0 nitrate is also bad in general. Just feed more and use chemiclean. Also keep in mine that 0.02ppm phosphate is possibly 0 given error range on test kits.

OP
OP
N

NortheastReefer97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano can get nitrogen from the atmosphere so 0 ish nitrate can aid them as it is bad for their competition. 0 nitrate is also bad in general. Just feed more and use chemiclean. Also keep in mine that 0.02ppm phosphate is possibly 0 given error range on test kits.
Hmm ok, ive only got a tailspot in there and feed a quarter cube of mysis 1x and red nori that i blitzed into flake size 2x a day which i thought was over feeding to begin with. So is it high or low no3 and po4 that causes cyano? I was under the impression that it was high params that caused it.

OP
OP
N

NortheastReefer97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fixate on the numbers. Use them as a general indication.

Focus on good husbandry and be patient. Things will work out slowly and with time.
Thats what I was doing, and I've stayed the course because the parameters were consistent and i figured it was NTS but it’s killed livestock now so i need to be more proactive about it. Isn’t obsessing over water parameters what good reef husbandry is all about? Lol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ok, ive only got a tailspot in there and feed a quarter cube of mysis 1x and red nori that i blitzed into flake size 2x a day which i thought was over feeding to begin with. So is it high or low no3 and po4 that causes cyano? I was under the impression that it was high params that caused it.

Low NO3 may be a reason for cyano as they don't care how much nitrate is in the tank. 0's for nitrate are bad and can result in coral mortality too unless the corals are constantly catching food in the water. This applies to phosphate too. Try to have those between 0.1 and 0.03 and nitrates 5 or greater (obviously not super high but more than 0.

bitwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d bump up nitrate and phosphate to get them a little more above zero, and try a few drops of micro bacter 7 daily. That worked for me, no other chemicals required

OP
OP
N

NortheastReefer97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low NO3 may be a reason for cyano as they don't care how much nitrate is in the tank. 0's for nitrate are bad and can result in coral mortality too unless the corals are constantly catching food in the water. This applies to phosphate too. Try to have those between 0.1 and 0.03 and nitrates 5 or greater (obviously not super high but more than 0.
Ah i see now that i had 0.5 for current nitrates but that should be a 5. I think you’re right though and I’ll work on getting my phos up. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
N

NortheastReefer97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d bump up nitrate and phosphate to get them a little more above zero, and try a few drops of micro bacter 7 daily. That worked for me, no other chemicals required
Yea that 0.5 should have just been a 5 but the phos is probably too low so ill try to get that up first but ill keep the microbacter in mind if it doesn’t work. Thanks!

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. 1.5 NITRATES and 0 phos. No sign of dino or cyano yet (and I hope never). I do have a little rock that has some GHA on it. I'm contemplating trimming it down a bit when it gets out of control. But in my mind, I'd rather deal with GHA than the other 2. If my tank still grows GHA that tells me my nutrients are higher than what my test shows.

Is this accurate? I can't seem to raise my nitrates with increased feeding.

(Don't mean to hijack)

20210225_224011.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah i see now that i had 0.5 for current nitrates but that should be a 5. I think you’re right though and I’ll work on getting my phos up. Thanks for the advice.

Honestly though I would just get some chemiclean and feed a little more food and not stress too much over it.

Last edited:

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got over horrible cyano. This is just my humble opinion but it seems to me that cyano outbreak has nothing to do with nitrate/phospate. I believe it is from having too much dissolved organics (carbon) in the water.
What worked for me:
- wet skimming
- cut back on feeding (at least temporarily)
- stop adding aminos (at least temporarily)
- stop adding any other sources of organics (vibrant, vinegar, vodka, etc)
- use microbacter 7
- frequent turkey basting
- increased flow did not really seem to help
- however getting lighting and flow dialed in so that coralline algae is growing seems beneficial
hope that helps
edit: by the way, I did not use chemiclean

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am another frustrated Cyno fighter. I too have good water parameters, change the water weekly, change the socks frequently, scrub all the dynos off the rocks and coral as often as I can, use vibrant after every water change and still no luck. I have used Chemiclean and the tank looks great for maybe two days and the dang stuff comes back.

It's choking my corals and killing them which is driving me nuts!

How often can you use chemiclean?

OP
OP
N

NortheastReefer97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update, I ended up using chemiclean and it took care of the problem with no ill effects, I also kept the tank lights off while this was going on. Be sure to use level scoops and and a bubbler for the full time. I started feeding more after the treatment and now my only problem is cleaning algae off the glass!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back