battling my RODI unit

bmooney31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"ve been in a huge battle with my RO unit and the water its producing. I've changed all filters and new membrane and new DI. I'm getting 0.00 TDS and still getting a reading of 0.04 phosphates with the expensive hanna photometer. how is this happening? and what can I do to get that last bit of phosphates out of my top off and water change water. It's causing hair algae and cyano in two tanks. my rodi unit is a water general. I know they aren't considered top of the line, but I replaced all filters with good filters from Bulk reef Supply. any info would be appreciated.

OP
OP
B

bmooney31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m tossing around the idea of adding another canister to my RODI set up and running GFO in it to take out the last bit of phosphates. what do you think? I wonder if there will be enough water pressure to get the water through that final canister.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meters, even somewhat expensive meters like the Hanna are not designed for testing ultrapure water. Most are designed for "dirty" water or normal tap or salt water not something that has had all its ions stripped out and is very agressive.
I would look elsewhere for your hair algae and cyano problems, its probably not your RO/DI water. If you want to check the purity of the water find someone with a HM Digital COM-100 or an conductivity or resistivity meter to see what the microsiemen or mega ohm readings are, thats an accurate way of testing ultrapure water.

There are DI resins such as Spectrapures SilicaBuster that are specifically designed for removing silicates, phosphates and nitrates but thats probably not your problem.
Untitled Document

Last edited:
Back