Bayer Bleaching Corals

trajik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Coral RX for years with no issues, but decided I wanted to give Bayer a try. I’ve been impressed with the kill effect of hitchhikers, but unimpressed with the killing power of my coral. Every SPS I’ve put in this stuff, 5 now, has bleached. I’m using approx 1oz (30ML) for 3 cups of water. Dipping for 10min. Rinsing in RODI. Into the tank. The polyps seem to be not as effected (monti polyps are the worst so far), but the skin is bleaching. Dipped a slimmer, it bleached, but polyps were out in full force in a couple days. Seems like it’s burning the coral. Just dipped a lepto and a sunset month and they look fried...

What am I doing wrong here? Do I need to give it a few days?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks reefers.

091FCFEA-EA2B-4974-A636-FEACC523E11F.jpeg

1013AB24-68A0-4674-9A2A-595D3FE2AE07.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
trajik

trajik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang those are bad images... I think it get’s the point across... if not let me know and I can get more up.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take about an hour to acclimate new frags to my tank water (in containers of course), once acclimated to my tank's water I then dip in bayer (skim milk look) for 15 minutes, then rinse in a separate container of clean tank water 15 minutes, rinse again ( another container) clean tank water for 15 minutes.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way it's the Bayer. I use 1.5x the concentration you do. I've dipped a dozen and a half frags now, everything from softies to acros. Not lost a single frag yet.

Something else is going on. What Bayer product are you using? Does it specifically say "Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer?"

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP I've dipped numerous coral in Bayer with zero casualties. Even smooth skin/deep water Acropora.

OP
OP
trajik

trajik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s literally a quick dip in rodi. Done it for years to rinse off the toxins before frags go into qt. I don’t think it’s that. Could be wrong though, as I don’t have a ton of sps. Only done about twenty sps frags...

OP
OP
trajik

trajik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the advanced complete insect killer.

I’ll try the next set rinsing with just tank water. I’m just overly concerned with getting toxins in the tank, so I hit with sw and fw. Not an sps expert so might be the issue...

24CC680E-D138-4814-B250-307CFA8B26DB.jpeg

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always rinse with tank water also, no problems here. I usually try to buy my frags in schedule with my water changes, makes the acclamation process and tank maintenance go by quicker.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're concerned about the Bayer getting in the tank, do two saltwater rinses. Saltwater then freshwater doesn't offer any advantage to saltwater > saltwater.

After Bayer, I dip and soak for a few seconds in saltwater rinse number one. Then I do saltwater rinse number two in the same fashion. Nothing significant is going to make it through two rinses.

OP
OP
trajik

trajik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel dumb that this could be the issue. I have rinsed all my corals this way forever and didn’t have issues until dipping in bayer. It just seems crazy. I know sps in finicky so i’ll be diligent going forward.

Appreciate the input from everyone.

Mike810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rinsing in rodi is your problem and a quick rinse isn't good enough to remove all the bayer especially if there is a rock or frag plug in the picture. You should rinse in tank water for several minutes. Preferably two different clean tank water containers. one container for frags that just came from the bayer dip and the second container for a final rinsing. Bayer is no joke and any little bit that gets into your tank will kill your pods instantly.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always dip in Ro quickly after Bayer, and then into tank water. I've done this with countless corals of all types, so I'm unconvinced that is the problem.
I keep on container of tank water right next to the ro, so it isn't on them long.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, I would stop it to eliminate that variable and because it is of questionable effectiveness.

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's pure RODI it's an osmotic gradient that the coral can't really deal with. They're likely used to 34-35 ppt salinity and if you rinse off in 0 it's likely shocking it. There's a reason you don't find coral in freshwater tropical lakes.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back