First RTN / bleaching experience, what should I do?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately losing corals is part of the learning process. When they go obviously something needs to change, the current process didn’t work. But, the problem is there are too many button but no manual.

I will tell you what I did to turn my tank, although you are still in the unstable tank stage, less than 1 year ….
Here are what some of my prized SPS looked like:
1696297980555.jpeg

1696298093603.jpeg

At that point I was throwing money down the drain…. I almost packed it in.

Anyways first I removed most of my filtration GFO, socks, few others and only kept skimmer and activated carbon (20ml/100l change once a month).

Second I made sure PO4 was above 0.1 level, you can do this by feeding Reef Roids , Fauna Marin coral dust (put some in a cup with reef water and let sit for 30 minutes) or Tropic Marin coral food. Adding PO4 or NO3 is not the same from my experience.
Yes you do need to feed the corals.

Third I started carbon dosing TM NP Bacto Ballance (0.2 ml per 100l) just to feed the bacteria, so the bacteria can feed the corals. This is not to control nutrients!!!

Last I made sure my Alk was in the 7-8 dKh range. I also switched to TM AFR due to the simplicity. It has the main elements and all the trace elements so it makes the reef stable and reduces the reefing complexity. I have moved on to a different system now but at the time it helped me to figure out things by not being distracted with calcium, mg and trace elements etc…

After few months things improved:
1696299160390.jpeg

Same coral from the first picture.
Here as it was year later:
1696299281601.jpeg

Good luck,

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately losing corals is part of the learning process. When they go obviously something needs to change, the current process didn’t work. But, the problem is there are too many button but no manual.

I will tell you what I did to turn my tank, although you are still in the unstable tank stage, less than 1 year ….
Here are what some of my prized SPS looked like:
1696297980555.jpeg

1696298093603.jpeg

At that point I was throwing money down the drain…. I almost packed it in.

Anyways first I removed most of my filtration GFO, socks, few others and only kept skimmer and activated carbon (20ml/100l change once a month).

Second I made sure PO4 was above 0.1 level, you can do this by feeding Reef Roids , Fauna Marin coral dust (put some in a cup with reef water and let sit for 30 minutes) or Tropic Marin coral food. Adding PO4 or NO3 is not the same from my experience.
Yes you do need to feed the corals.

Third I started carbon dosing TM NP Bacto Ballance (0.2 ml per 100l) just to feed the bacteria, so the bacteria can feed the corals. This is not to control nutrients!!!

Last I made sure my Alk was in the 7-8 dKh range. I also switched to TM AFR due to the simplicity. It has the main elements and all the trace elements so it makes the reef stable and reduces the reefing complexity. I have moved on to a different system now but at the time it helped me to figure out things by not being distracted with calcium, mg and trace elements etc…

After few months things improved:
1696299160390.jpeg

Same coral from the first picture.
Here as it was year later:
1696299281601.jpeg

Good luck,
Thanks for the response! Do you think you were having bacterial issues? My problem is my tank consumes P faster than N so I am always short N. And I think I have a coral pathogen :D:flushed-face:

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time dosing antibiotics was not as popular. Corals need bacteria, antibiotics and bacteria don’t mix so in my opinion it leads to issues. I would use it as a last resort after I made sure water parameters are on point and stable, corals are fed, fish are vibrant and healthy etc…

On the flip side where I live we don’t have easy access to any antibiotics so I always try to follow alternative methods. Europe has similar limitations on antibiotics so I tend to follow their methods and they do work. Sometimes the results are not fast but they are robust from my experience. Ideal conditions are for strong vibrant coral that can fight off pest and pathogens vs. one that depends on antibiotics.

What I followed was loosely based on what Hans Werner Balling (developer of Balling method) stated he thinks is important;
1696334426579.png

In my opinion bacteria is critical for coral and the reef tank. You should try not to chase NO3 or PO4 but just try to guide them. Try foods that have more PO4 and or NO3 and ones with less stuffing.

Yes you might have pathogens but there are ways to improve coral health so that should not be an issue.

Good luck,

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time dosing antibiotics was not as popular. Corals need bacteria, antibiotics and bacteria don’t mix so in my opinion it leads to issues. I would use it as a last resort after I made sure water parameters are on point and stable, corals are fed, fish are vibrant and healthy etc…

On the flip side where I live we don’t have easy access to any antibiotics so I always try to follow alternative methods. Europe has similar limitations on antibiotics so I tend to follow their methods and they do work. Sometimes the results are not fast but they are robust from my experience. Ideal conditions are for strong vibrant coral that can fight off pest and pathogens vs. one that depends on antibiotics.

What I followed was loosely based on what Hans Werner Balling (developer of Balling method) stated he thinks is important;
1696334426579.png

In my opinion bacteria is critical for coral and the reef tank. You should try not to chase NO3 or PO4 but just try to guide them. Try foods that have more PO4 and or NO3 and ones with less stuffing.

Yes you might have pathogens but there are ways to improve coral health so that should not be an issue.

Good luck,
Thanks a lot for your response Pod. Totally agree regarding bacteria's importance and that consistent quality water is the best defense. The reason I am leaning toward an antibacterial is because I think that first line of defense is long gone thanks to my clumsy hand. Now the raiders are in city and I need to take a poison pill as a last defense. I have an aquabiomics test on the way which will hopefully corroborate this, but It would be a few weeks to get the results, by which time it may be too late.

I worry if I do nothing I'll loose everything. So why not throw a Hail Mary?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a quick glance, I am not expert but your Na (sodium) is on the low end and Cl as well. How is your salinity? You might be running on the low end.
Also your K (potassium) is low and that can be stressor, value of 390 is preferred.
The other trace elements, hard to comment since you did mention you are adding some but i don’t know that system. I don’t see anything that pops out.
Ba (Barium) is elevated, usually comes from activated carbon. Are you using it a lot or used it a lot? Being aggressive with activated carbon can be detrimental.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back