Bayer dip killed my shrimp!

Harrison Gordon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh! I loved my cleaner shrimp. I got a new montipora about 4 inches diameter the other day. I use Bayers to dip, and yes it is the correct version.
I did 10mL per cup of tank water, stirred it, moved it to a tray of fresh tank water and basted it really really well to get off any pests and also the mucus. Left it for 15 min.
Then I moved it to another container of fresh tank water, stirred, and left for 15 min. And once more. I thought I was being extra careful........
Half an hour later, my cleaner shrimp was acting weird. Later that evening, my harlequin shrimp left his lair and stood atop a rock.
This morning, I found my cleaner shrimp dead, and my harlequin shrimp has now been in the same area of the tank for a day and a half -- walking around, acting somewhat normal, but on full display (that's not normal) and not eating the yummy starfish I just got him (that's very concerning).

Two questions: should I be worried about my harlequin dying? What could I have done (or do in the future) to prevent this?
Like I said, I rinsed it in fresh tank water 3 times over maybe a little over a half hour after dipping, the first time with a baster and the other times stirring with a spoon.
I was also wearing gloves and was super careful, there was no splatter, spilling, residue, etc. Could there have been some left in the mucus attached to/secreted by the coral?

Thanks in advance.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmmm....I've used Bayer dip as well since day 1. I did lose a cleaner shrimp along the way - but didn't associate it with dip since he'd survived several additions of corals. My process was similar (5 steps)...Dip in CoralRx, dip in clean TW, Dip in Bayer, then in clean TW and blast with baster, and again in clean TW for 10-15 min. I suppose it's possible one of those times had some residue left - but then again my pistol, snails, hermits have been fine all along. Are Cleaner shrimp more sensitive perhaps? I'm ok with the trade-off - no cleaner shrimp for no pests (and so far, dip has been great at pest removal) - but would like to know as well. Following....

OP
OP
H

Harrison Gordon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are certainly sensitive creatures..... but man I am amazed that this even happened.
I had just replaced the carbon earlier that day, so hopefully any tiny residue is out of the system now, but.......

Vwluv10338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely it’s the dip. The first time I used it I did two tank water dips after treatment. As soon as I put the frag into my tank all of a sudden a ton of amphipods were dead and floating around the tank. That stuff is strong. Now I do 5 rinses before putting anything in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back