Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said they are from Vietnam so I don't get it? I thought they were from indo as well.

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter where they came from, all elegance are susceptible when exposed.

thormx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a maxi mini anemone be dipped with this stuff? There's a sweet maxi at the lfs but I dont like the rock its on, its got lots of hitchhikers growing on it. Ill try to get it off the rock but I dont want to hurt the maxi!

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a maxi mini anemone be dipped with this stuff? There's a sweet maxi at the lfs but I dont like the rock its on, its got lots of hitchhikers growing on it. Ill try to get it off the rock but I dont want to hurt the maxi!

I dipped mine in melafix, just knocks out the pests, so shake, use a turkey baster or a syringe.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this Bayer rid a rock from aptasia also? I don't remember where I read it but I remember someone saying it killed a marjano and regular aptasia. The person was infested with bristle worms and dipping their corals and rock and noted that they had almost rid the tank of an aptasia outbreak as well.

snyper19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this to 4 sps corals and now my corals look all white, I used one cup of bayer for about half a gallon of water. Now all my corals look white like they bleached :(

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just did this to 4 sps corals and now my corals look all white, I used one cup of bayer for about half a gallon of water. Now all my corals look white like they bleached :(
why? most commonly i've heard 1 tablespoon of bayer to one gallon. ten to fifteen minute dip with consideration for smooth skin more sensitive acropora species.

snyper19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I want to know.... I'm not sure what happened, I don't think I used much bayer

This is how they look like... It looks like skin burned or something
image.jpg

snyper19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why? most commonly i've heard 1 tablespoon of bayer to one gallon. ten to fifteen minute dip with consideration for smooth skin more sensitive acropora species.

We'll I don't know what happened it is really sad how they turned white.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i meant "why did you use such a saturated solution?" where did you get that instruction? thank you for posting and your results. positive and negative results with detail on how it occurred is always helpful. i am sorry for your situation. you may want to reread through the thread to establish a new protocol while using bayer as a prophylactic dip for your corals.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It IS sad, I feel ya! But leave them in your tank, they might come back to life. I had one that I thought was dead for a long time and one day I saw little polyps and it came back. I've been leary about dipping my acros in anything period so I don't. The 7 that I have are all 2" or less and my babies.

Jackie

snyper19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i meant "why did you use such a saturated solution?" where did you get that instruction? thank you for posting and your results. positive and negative results with detail on how it occurred is always helpful. i am sorry for your situation. you may want to reread through the thread to establish a new protocol while using bayer as a prophylactic dip for your corals.

I use a big bowl, like the ones for butter, I fill it with my water, grabbed the bakers cap and turned it around and added the bayer to the water,( it wasn't that much, looked like the amount it shows on the pictures on the first posts ) then stir the water for about 3-5 minutes and added the corals. Left them all 4 corals for about 2 minutes at most. Took them out and rinse them for about 10-13 minutes. Put them back in and the rest is history :(

I looked at them, one of them still looks kinda white but a lot of polyps are out :). Hopefully the rest of them show the same signs

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just get these acros and were dipping them before putting them in your tank? If so, they may have already been stressed and the dip just added to it. They may just be in shock. Sounds like they're getting over it, and that's great news!

I use the same size bowl and 5ml from a dosing syringe for that size bowl. Some things shock easier and faster than others. All my palys and zoas did well but the whammin watermelons took a day to recover. I dipped them all due to zoas nudis on 1 colony. Got those buggers too!

Jackie

arnel0387

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used 5ml every cup for 10minutes and got rid of the red bugs on my red dragon. Ive dipped other SPS as high as 10ml with no ill effects.

Whisperer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I just joined the forum. Glad to see people are having success with my experiment. The method has a lot of wiggle room, meaning, there is a wide range of effective concentrations. Just don't use it pure and don't use it as an in-tank treatment. ---Whisperer

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum whisperer.... I have kinda stirred up the Bayer topic the last couple days....

spsguru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great success with it. Seems to be much more forgiving than most.
Problems happen when you don't mix it well in the container before adding to the water.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back