Bayer vs. Melafix Pond vs. ??? best dip recipe

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So was planning on dipping my sps in bayer, but recently read a post about Melafix pond dip being better...first time I’ve heard of this. Per the post it says it will kill all species of AEFWs.

My question is what’s everyone using? Has anyone else tried Melafix pond dip? Will it kill red and black bugs too?

Or is there another dip people are using?

What’s your regimen. What are using using? How much? How long of dip? Single dip or multiple?

Thanks

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people using it more to treat coral than as a dip to kill bugs. This is what people used to use to treat elegance coral.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Melafix @1%, Melafix Marine @1.25%, and Melafix Pond @5%

The mix I use is as follows;
- Marine (1.25%) 50mL/Gallon
- Regular (1%) 62.5mL/Gallon
- Pond (5%) 12.5mL/Gallon

max 6 minutes

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to dip in bayer and I was super careful about dipping and removing every coral from the plug. Ended up getting flatworms anyways. That’s when I realized that bayer isn’t that great at killing FW. It works, but not that good. Now I am dipping in melafix. It takes wayyy less time to dip in melafix compared to bayer and flatworms let go in just a few minutes. After about 3 minutes you will see the flatworms letting go and fall off.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using bayer for my own ethical reasons and its damage to bee populations. I currently use reef dip and detol(idea from @atol).

I have not used melafix dip yet but the science behind tree resins has a very long history. A similar tree is what the ancient Egyptians during mummification as an embalming fluid to prevent damage from organisms.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I will catch some grief here but I will only use Prime Coral dips. I know they work and I know a lot of Wholesalers that use it. As a matter of fact if any of your corals migrated through central Florida there is a good chance your corals have been dipped in it already... ;)

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to dip in bayer and I was super careful about dipping and removing every coral from the plug. Ended up getting flatworms anyways. That’s when I realized that bayer isn’t that great at killing FW. It works, but not that good. Now I am dipping in melafix. It takes wayyy less time to dip in melafix compared to bayer and flatworms let go in just a few minutes. After about 3 minutes you will see the flatworms letting go and fall off.

Will this dip kill red and black bugs too?

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I will catch some grief here but I will only use Prime Coral dips. I know they work and I know a lot of Wholesalers that use it. As a matter of fact if any of your corals migrated through central Florida there is a good chance your corals have been dipped in it already... ;)

Why would you catch grief for that if it works?

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using bayer for my own ethical reasons and its damage to bee populations. I currently use reef dip and detol(idea from @atol).

I have not used melafix dip yet but the science behind tree resins has a very long history. A similar tree is what the ancient Egyptians during mummification as an embalming fluid to prevent damage from organisms.

Have you had anything get passed your current regimen?

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix @1%, Melafix Marine @1.25%, and Melafix Pond @5%

The mix I use is as follows;
- Marine (1.25%) 50mL/Gallon
- Regular (1%) 62.5mL/Gallon
- Pond (5%) 12.5mL/Gallon

max 6 minutes

How long have you been doing this dip? Any bad experience? Anything get passed it?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had anything get passed your current regimen?

I have not had any coral bugs get through. I replug most hard corals or at the very least cut off the shaft and scrape the rest of the plug with a new razor if difficult to replug entirely luke some thin sps or soft corals.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of these dips will kill AEFW and red bugs on the corals. This is no hard task. The eggs are the harder issue and no dip will kill them.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of these dips will kill AEFW and red bugs on the corals. This is no hard task. The eggs are the harder issue and no dip will kill them.

What can you do about the eggs then?

Thanks

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can you do about the eggs then?

Thanks

Best solution have a coral qt.

If notice any pests dip every related coral every 7 days for 22 days. This is for the lifecycle of afew that is well documented. I dont have hard data on the lifecycle of monti nudis or euphylia eating fw or red bugs which are a copepod.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t the eggs not be on the base though? Couldn’t they be within the colony?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the base, inspect the corals, remove the frag plug, QT for a while, etc. If you find them, a toothbrush can destroy them with ease... just gotta see them first.

I would caution everybody to be skeptical about any dips that says that it kills the eggs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back