BBS Hatchery and Feeder

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaulB has a mandarin feeder that he made that he fills with BBS. He has threads here with instructions on making a BBS hatchery and the mandarin feeder.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaulB has a mandarin feeder that he made that he fills with BBS. He has threads here with instructions on making a BBS hatchery and the mandarin feeder.
I've seen those, the device in the link hatches and also allows the freshly hatched BBS to feed into the tank. I found an old thread where @Paul B shows an automatic hatcher/feeder on another forum: http://wamas.org/forums/topic/67821-auto-brine-shrimp-hatchery-and-feeder/
But I can't really tell what's going on there from the picture but in the description he talks about a regular fish auto feeder pouring eggs in and a door opening and shutting on a timer. I don't need all that. I've caught my Banggai Cardinal's fry and put them in a breeder net and would like to be able to leave the house for a whole day, they need to be fed quite often. So I want a way to feed the BBS automatically all day. I could try to drip them in but I'm already dripping kalk and having issues with not enough evaporation.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a hatchery/feeder that I use when I leave for a week but I don't have a picture of it. It is basically a box about 5"X5" that sits on the bottom of the tank. There is a 3/8" tube to the surface with a funnel on it that is about half out of the water.
Above the funnel is an auto dry food feeder that dispenses brine shrimp eggs into the funnel and there is also a small supply of water that trickles into the funnel to aerate the eggs and push them down into the box at the bottom.

The box has a screen on the top exactly like my daily brine shrimp feeder and a stocking can be used.

The eggs constantly hatch and swim out through the mesh for the fish to eat. The mesh keeps the eggs inside.

After a week I remove the thing to remove the hatched eggs. I have been using it for a few years and seems to work well but I use it for mandarins and pipefish.
There is a picture of it in my book but I don't have time to copy it right now.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a hatchery/feeder that I use when I leave for a week but I don't have a picture of it. It is basically a box about 5"X5" that sits on the bottom of the tank. There is a 3/8" tube to the surface with a funnel on it that is about half out of the water.
Above the funnel is an auto dry food feeder that dispenses brine shrimp eggs into the funnel and there is also a small supply of water that trickles into the funnel to aerate the eggs and push them down into the box at the bottom.

The box has a screen on the top exactly like my daily brine shrimp feeder and a stocking can be used.

The eggs constantly hatch and swim out through the mesh for the fish to eat. The mesh keeps the eggs inside.

After a week I remove the thing to remove the hatched eggs. I have been using it for a few years and seems to work well but I use it for mandarins and pipefish.
There is a picture of it in my book but I don't have time to copy it right now.
All good, I can picture it. Thanks for your input.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back