Beaded Anemone

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with the beaded anemone (Heteractis Aurora)? They look pretty cool but there's not much information available about them, other than people trying to figure out what a "zebra mat anemone" is because that's what Petco sells them as. I can find basic info about them but I'd love to hear some personal experiences if anyone's kept them before. Thanks!

beadz.jpg

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Compatible: Yes
Care Level: Intermediate
Disposition: Semi-aggressive
Min Tank Size: 30 gallons
Mature Size: 10"
Placement: Low to Mid
Light Level: Moderate
Water Flow: Medium
Diet: Carnivore
Yeah, that's about the gist of the info I've found so far. Was hoping someone had experience keeping one. Would be a nice addition to my anemone tank but I don't want to be risking all my nems for a $15 beaded anemone lol

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's about the gist of the info I've found so far. Was hoping someone had experience keeping one. Would be a nice addition to my anemone tank but I don't want to be risking all my nems for a $15 beaded anemone lol
I've yet to see one at my local LFS - no idea if I'd suffer a cardiac event from sticker shock...

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for over a year now. Cool anemone, easy to keep(for me anyway). Mines just a plaIn brown color. Likes to eat but hasn't gotten much bigger(4" around) since I got it. My clowns spend most of their time in my LTA, but every now and then I see them in the beaded.
BEADED.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for over a year now. Cool anemone, easy to keep(for me anyway). Mines just a plan brown color. Likes to eat but hasn't gotten much bigger(4" around) since I got it. My clowns spend most of their time in my LTA, but every now and then I see them in the beaded.
Thank you!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this guy at my LFS for dirt cheap and love him, hasn’t moved, looks cool and easy to care for so far
image.jpg
Looks like a bornemans anemone , cool pick up! I’ve had my H Aurora nem for 2 months now , and it’s been pretty chill , likes the sandbed and I feed it occasionally. Loves to eat

Attachments

• 2261BC42-DD30-4FAA-9A54-B4BC01FC3A70.jpeg
    2261BC42-DD30-4FAA-9A54-B4BC01FC3A70.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 49

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently aquired a -yellow- version of this anemone...awesome find...hope it does well..

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. aurora are "nursery host anemones," meaning baby clownfish will sometimes be hosted by them, but rarely adults (perhaps with the exception of clarkii).

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. aurora are "nursery host anemones," meaning baby clownfish will sometimes be hosted by them, but rarely adults (perhaps with the exception of clarkii).
good to know..but I didnt buy it for its hosting abilities...I got it because of the rare color ...

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for over a year now. Cool anemone, easy to keep(for me anyway). Mines just a plaIn brown color. Likes to eat but hasn't gotten much bigger(4" around) since I got it. My clowns spend most of their time in my LTA, but every now and then I see them in the beaded.
BEADED.jpg
I still have this anemone, been about 3.5 years now.

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice anemone. i had one before and it splits like a mushroom!
Shakacuz, your anemone is a Borneman (Phymanthus Buitendijki) anemone. His anemone is H. aurora, not at all closely related and his only reproduce sexually. They do superficially resemble one another at first glance.

Back