Bean Animal Plumbing

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im ordering a tank and had a question about the holes for a bean animal. The tank is going to be either 36x30x30 or 36x30x24. It’s going to be running on two varios-6 return pumps with a random flow generator. Ok now on to the good part. I was looking at doing the 3 drain holes 1” since the full siphon will easily handle most of the flow but then started reading that the non siphon pipe can get loud and that 1 1/2” was recommended to keep the noise down. Does this sound right?

This is my first bean animal so I want to make sure I’m good to go. Right now I’m leaning to two 1” return holes and two 1” and one 1 1/2” drain holes. I want the emergency drain to be loud so I know there is a problem.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the emergency pipe? I see noise as a good thing as it tells me something is off.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to throw a wrench in the discussion....but why so much flow thru the sump? 2 x 1" returns with dedicated pumps seems like a lot of flow for that size tank. Are you not using wavemakers in the tank? Sorry, I'm in the lower,slow flow thru sump camp so just wondering.

OP
OP
kkiel02

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to throw a wrench in the discussion....but why so much flow thru the sump? 2 x 1" returns with dedicated pumps seems like a lot of flow for that size tank. Are you not using wavemakers in the tank? Sorry, I'm in the lower,slow flow thru sump camp so just wondering.

I’ll be sitting at about 10 ft of head pressure, which dramatically reduces the flow(I want to say like 800 gph off the top of my head). I plan on dialing it back a tad as well from their controller. It’ll get reduced down to 3/4” though for the lockline.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back