Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
Is this an accurate bean animal set up? Thanks much
e27f6a0e56c11228ff460651231937ae.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
No. It is not. It is a hybrid or modification and will not guarantee a safe and reliable and quite overflow. Simple has that. Reference his design.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very similar to both of mine. You might have to change heights of the stand pipe a couple times but once you get it right the things a about as safe as can be & creepy quiet !

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It is not. It is a hybrid or modification and will not guarantee a safe and reliable and quite overflow. Simple has that. Reference his design.
What is different from a standard BA?

U

User1

View Badges
It is simple more or less. My point. Well, actually it is his point, and only request, is that if you use the name bean animal and his design his request is to be exact, not a hybrid or modified design. There is a long thread with valuable information on RC. If you follow his design then it will be reliable, quiet, and handle any amount of flow you throw at it. That is why I said the post is not a BA design and not reliable.

Reference his design and why he did it, it is all explained here.
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Bean Animal image for reference. Notice air vent, elbows, primary, secondary, and emergency and why they are set up that way.
upload_2019-4-12_5-41-17.png

OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is simple more or less. My point. Well, actually it is his point, and only request, is that if you use the name bean animal and his design his request is to be exact, not a hybrid or modified design. There is a long thread with valuable information on RC. If you follow his design then it will be reliable, quiet, and handle any amount of flow you throw at it. That is why I said the post is not a BA design and not reliable.

Reference his design and why he did it, it is all explained here.
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Bean Animal image for reference. Notice air vent, elbows, primary, secondary, and emergency and why they are set up that way.
upload_2019-4-12_5-41-17.png

thanks. i thought when you referenced "simple" you were referring to another user on the forum (LOL) ; i have poured over the RC site (and bean animal site) and i found it confusing, the diagram i found from marine depot was one i could understand (however i was worried it wasn't an exact spec, as you confirmed) ill keep reviewing RC until it hopefully clicks
thanks again !

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the image at the top of the thread. The pipe on the left will run full siphon to the sump. The middle pipe will have some water trickling into it down to the sump. Pipe 3 on the right, normal operation won't have any water in it, the emergency. If pipe #1 gets plugged with snails, algae, a fish, a kids toy, bristle worms? The middle pipe picks up the siphon, and the emergency is now saving the carpet in your house from a tank overflowing, directing water to the sump.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont understand ... o_O

Description of the secondary drain from your image:

"Usually a Durso type standpipe it doesn't act as a full siphon."

Description from http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

"The Open Channel (right) standpipe is equipped with an airline that is attached to the high water line in the overflow box. If the water level rises to the critical point of overflow and the Emergency (left) standpipe can not handle the flow (say due to blockage from algae or something) then the water will cover the inlet of the airline. The flooded air intake will in effect convert the Open Channel (right) standpipe into a full siphon standpipe, allowing it to handle much more flow. This will flush the overflow box and prevent flooding."

U

User1

View Badges
Also I believe it is mentioned in his documents but it also matters how long the return plumbing line is in the sump (how much pipe is below the water surface). The idea here is that normal siphon is quite, emergency is LOUD, thus again alerting you to a issue or potential issue.

The design works together once it is put together properly. I say that because I had similar issues when I put mine together and finally over time got it sorted out has the dots started to connect :)

OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I believe it is mentioned in his documents but it also matters how long the return plumbing line is in the sump (how much pipe is below the water surface). The idea here is that normal siphon is quite, emergency is LOUD, thus again alerting you to a issue or potential issue.

The design works together once it is put together properly. I say that because I had similar issues when I put mine together and finally over time got it sorted out has the dots started to connect :)
hi there, you wouldn't happen to have some time for a phone call , would you? thanks Carl 617-457-3394

OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Saf1
i am finishing up the plumbing (hopefully) on my 150g. I have a couple of questions: My tank is bottom drilled and with the bulkheads will support 3 drains 1.5" each. Since it is an internal overflow i wont be incorporating the T and the screw top PVC standpipe just the 3 returns with elbows (primary, secondary, emergency). each will have an elbow (possibly with strainer) the third being upturned (the third will be 3/4" from weir. all three will be in a row same height. with the emergency being upturned so in effect higher. the secondary will have a hole drilled in the top of elbow (what size drill bit do you recommend?). the sump is in the stand below; the stand is a little taller than normal (maybe 2 feet taller), my pump is the large varios 8 adjustable. and i have a gate valve on the primary only. So with that small hole it will break the siphon and only a small amount of water will flow into that pipe? should all the pipe be glued within the overflow?
do you see any problems?
grateful for your input

thanks Carl

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The links to the original article seem to be dead. Anyone know if it is hosted somewhere else?
I just checked it, and while the site is not down, it's delivering an empty page. Google's cache of the page is also empty. Looking for the content elsewhere....

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back