Beaten Up Multiline Basslet

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my multiline basslet just came out of QT today, here's how it looks:
E6199C79-703F-498D-A27A-E3E4E923ED31.jpeg

Shut the lights off and put him in tank, half an hour later found out my flame hawk had been hunting him down, now he looks like this:
1682377419648.jpeg

(I moved him to my fishless macroalgae tank)

Question is: should I do anything like medication baths or do I just let it chill in the refugium while I try to get the flame hawk out? Kinda expensive fish and Im so upset now for getting him beaten up.

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well my multiline basslet just came out of QT today, here's how it looks:
E6199C79-703F-498D-A27A-E3E4E923ED31.jpeg

Shut the lights off and put him in tank, half an hour later found out my flame hawk had been hunting him down, now he looks like this:
1682377419648.jpeg

(I moved him to my fishless macroalgae tank)

Question is: should I do anything like medication baths or do I just let it chill in the refugium while I try to get the flame hawk out? Kinda expensive fish and Im so upset now for getting him beaten up.

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
Ive been warning many about flame hawks. Pretty they are but cant say the same about friendly. I had one that went after anthias immediately and ate all my 3 year shrimps.
The tail is capable of healing on its own but NOT in the presence of the hawk. You likely have a decision to make .
Nice looking basslet. Keep an eye on the body rash which likely a bite. That too should heal on its own. If not, treatment in quarantine will be needed using seachem Kanaplex

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been warning many about flame hawks. Pretty they are but cant say the same about friendly. I had one that went after anthias immediately and ate all my 3 year shrimps.
The tail is capable of healing on its own but NOT in the presence of the hawk. You likely have a decision to make .
Nice looking basslet
Yeah the hawk gonna get out, no hesitation

Basslet is in another system with no other fish but just snails, algae and a peppermint shrimp.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah the hawk gonna get out, no hesitation

Basslet is in another system with no other fish but just snails, algae and a peppermint shrimp.
This is your solution. Now you know about this hawk. Falco and longnose not much better in behavior

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful basslet, yes he will heal! I’m always surprised how quick fish heal up.
Thank you, initially the basslet was hiding in my leather coral and my hawk didn't do anything so after watching for a few minutes I just went off to other stuff. You know the story afterwards...

I need to get him to readily eat though, saw him eat some mysis once in QT

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, initially the basslet was hiding in my leather coral and my hawk didn't do anything so after watching for a few minutes I just went off to other stuff. You know the story afterwards...

Dang he fooled you acting innocent! And yeah every Liopropoma basslet I have had eats everything and anything, and gobbles it up like a shark. I’m sure he will be eating ferociously for you soon!

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang he fooled you acting innocent! And yeah every Liopropoma basslet I have had eats everything and anything, and gobbles it up like a shark. I’m sure he will be eating ferociously for you soon!
That's reassuring. Let's see if I can get him to gobble some mysis or lrs nano

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

They steal food rather than normmal feed as they are shy to begin with. Meaty foods chopped in small pieces are best and stand back during feeding as they are again shy at first. Some foods are:
small plankton
chopped clam
Chopped squid
brine shrimp
Chopped krill

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They steal food rather than normmal feed as they are shy to begin with. Meaty foods chopped in small pieces are best and stand back during feeding as they are again shy at first. Some foods are:
small plankton
chopped clam
Chopped squid
brine shrimp
Chopped krill
I guess I'll have to give him a few days before he would dare to start feeding right?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, he seems to be doing fine. Kinda worried about its heads down behavior, could that be some kind of decompression issue?
1682433187978.jpeg
Is it bobbing head down? That can be a sign of a swollen air bladder from decompression issues.
Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back