Beaten Up Multiline Basslet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any buoyancy issues, but the video shows me that the fish is a bit more damaged than I first thought - fingers crossed! I still don't see any signs of secondary infection yet.

Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any buoyancy issues, but the video shows me that the fish is a bit more damaged than I first thought - fingers crossed! I still don't see any signs of secondary infection yet.

Jay
I think apart from all those torn-up fins a lot of his scales near the tail are missing... dang the hawk was ferocious

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think apart from all those torn-up fins a lot of his scales near the tail are missing... dang the hawk was ferocious

Is it still eating?

Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1682460084154.jpeg

Worrying.... Doesn't swim much I don't know if it's just perching or too weak to swim, ~50 breath per minute

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this, dude. Unless it's a very large tank basslets and hawkfish rarely get along in my experience. They are too territorial when it comes to rocks, and neither likes to back down.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
Got a lot worse this afternoon it seems, just went back from school
One thing you can do to help a damaged fish is to lower the salt level of the water to more like the fish’s blood level. That helps the fish osmoregulate more easily. A specific gravity of 1.019 is a good target. However, that tank may have invertebrates in it that won’t appreciate a low SG.
Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O

One thing you can do to help a damaged fish is to lower the salt level of the water to more like the fish’s blood level. That helps the fish osmoregulate more easily. A specific gravity of 1.019 is a good target. However, that tank may have invertebrates in it that won’t appreciate a low SG.
Jay
The tank has pretty high SG, 1.026
How fast can I lower it?

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a sh*tty color montipora in there, two gorgonian, two shrooms, gsp, a big tiger cowrie and a peppermint shrimp along with some cuc snails.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has pretty high SG, 1.026
How fast can I lower it?
For a fish, you can lower it quickly, maybe two steps over two hours. The inverts aren’t going to appreciate that though. Maybe just go down to 1.021?
Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a fish, you can lower it quickly, maybe two steps over two hours. The inverts aren’t going to appreciate that though. Maybe just go down to 1.021?
Jay
I just lowered it to 1.023~1.024 ish, i lower it further in an hour.

Do you think it would be better if I host the fish in a 5-gallon bucket and then dose medication? I have some spare LR that can be used for hiding and I don't mind staining them with antibiotics because they are not going into my display.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lowered it to 1.023~1.024 ish, i lower it further in an hour.

Do you think it would be better if I host the fish in a 5-gallon bucket and then dose medication? I have some spare LR that can be used for hiding and I don't mind staining them with antibiotics because they are not going into my display.
Tough to say - I just don’t see overt signs of infection(yet) so handling the fish and putting it in a bucket will add stress.
Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say - I just don’t see overt signs of infection(yet) so handling the fish and putting it in a bucket will add stress.
Jay
Ok that's a valid point, I will refrain from that impulse
Now it's sitting on the sandbed and looks a little lethargic. There's also a white part on the pectoral fin, BPM around 60
P4250676.JPG

P4250679.JPG

P4250678.JPG

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back