"Beating the dead horse" new system; dose or calrx

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm used to dosing 2 part via the Neptune dose and my Alex currently fir my ca and all needs on my reefer 450. I'm setting up a new system which will be about 300g total system volume and pretty much only sps. The last thing I really need to decide on is whether I want to keep dosing 2 part or move to a calcium reactor. I feel both will have pros and cons. I'm not necessary making my decision based on costs but more which is going to have less chance for catoatrophic failure or level swings. Thanks everyone

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm used to dosing 2 part via the Neptune dose and my Alex currently fir my ca and all needs on my reefer 450. I'm setting up a new system which will be about 300g total system volume and pretty much only sps. The last thing I really need to decide on is whether I want to keep dosing 2 part or move to a calcium reactor. I feel both will have pros and cons. I'm not necessary making my decision based on costs but more which is going to have less chance for catoatrophic failure or level swings. Thanks everyone

If your going full SPS dominate and willing to go with a MaterFlex/Carbon Doser set up I would go Calrx and Kalk. I just think there is something about dissolving coral skeletons that has a proven difference in results for SPS. I feel personally it's the micro elements that really help a system like that take off IMHO.

However the Triton advanced balling methods do account for this however that can also be complicated with testing, adjusting, retesting, additives and so on. A well set up CalRX should be set and forget when all the proper equipment is utilized. CalRX set up like that will cost you up front but I think in the long run just all around better.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I'd like to do a CALrx but am concerned I'm just not educated enough and worried about dumping too much of the wrong thing into the tank. Don't get me wrong a doser can fail but other than that I feel it's pretty error proof

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I'd like to do a CALrx but am concerned I'm just not educated enough and worried about dumping too much of the wrong thing into the tank. Don't get me wrong a doser can fail but other than that I feel it's pretty error proof

This is a great thread about the whole set up. The first post will give you a good idea of how's it's done. Once it's set up its dang near bullet proof from the reading I've done.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 83.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back