Beautiful Day and No so beautiful day at the Post Office

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i went to pick up my package from AquaSD and the Post office guys grabs it out of lock up and its on it side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He stand there infront of me and i go to place the box right side up and everything feels fine. Not so when i get home. I was pretty much devastated.

It actually looks pretty good for anemone that looks like it toook a rough ride!!!. I placed it in the tank with carbon and it seems to be digging in, i have havent lost hope yet, it wasnt very sticky but thats expected during shipping. THe only thing i can think of is that it attached to a side of the box when it was in flight and then when they moved the box it got ripped or i dont think its possbile to split.

Or it tried to split during shipping. when i saw the tear i quickly moved to it acclimated it for 2 hours duplicated temp and params and put it in. I dont think mertens can split.

I do really hate the post office.

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand, you think it was damaged because the carrier placed the box on its side? How did it tear in a bag full of water?

I pack corals with the understanding that the box might make the whole plane ride upside down...

Regardless, I hope it pulls through for you.. I remember how excited you were when you found out about it...

OP
OP
B

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Transit

When anemones are in transit when they feel no motion or movement, they think its ok to attach to subrstrate, in this case the bag. If they are firmly attached like they like to do you can tear them if the box is tossed around. My post office doesnt open till 10 and the package arriveed at 4 am and the box was on its side for 6 hours It could have attached then and when they pulled the box out it teared.

When package handler unload packages they toss them around to move faster, the usps is the worst.

This only thing i can think happened is that it attached and when unloaded it might have gotten sloshed around and ripped. Anemones dont sit like coral. coral is not mobile they dont have the ability to grab on or move. Have you ever tried to get a large anemone to detach from a flat surface?

Do you pack anemones? Shipping anemones is hit or miss it not easy. One coral in a box doesnt weigh almost 8 pounds and 3/4 being water.

GSELLERS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anemones are more tough than you think. When imported the company gets an empty plastic bag, pulls an anemone out of a tank and places it in the empty bag. The anemone expells its water and it is shipped with that amount of water from all over the world and survive.

You have to take into consideration that anemones split under stressful situations too.

Like ian said. hope he pulls through

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When anemones are in transit when they feel no motion or movement, they think its ok to attach to subrstrate, in this case the bag. If they are firmly attached like they like to do you can tear them if the box is tossed around. My post office doesnt open till 10 and the package arriveed at 4 am and the box was on its side for 6 hours It could have attached then and when they pulled the box out it teared.

When package handler unload packages they toss them around to move faster, the usps is the worst.

This only thing i can think happened is that it attached and when unloaded it might have gotten sloshed around and ripped. Anemones dont sit like coral. coral is not mobile they dont have the ability to grab on or move. Have you ever tried to get a large anemone to detach from a flat surface?

Do you pack anemones? Shipping anemones is hit or miss it not easy. One coral in a box doesnt weigh almost 8 pounds and 3/4 being water.

No, Ive never shipped a Nem. What you said makes sense, it grabbing on to the bag then getting torn. I just didn't understand your comment about being upset that the box was on its side. I doubt any carrier keeps any box right side up the whole way through transit...

If you're aware that USPS is rough on their packages, why use them? The $30 you save in shipping compared to the $200 Nem... I guess hindsight is 20/20...

Best of luck with it...

GSELLERS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny thing is that usps goes on some of the same planes as fedex

OP
OP
B

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont get to pick the shipper

the vendor does.

Gsellers - Carpets dont split

Also you may not realize that IMO 3/4 of the anemones that come in, dont survive.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the vendor does.

Also you may not realize that IMO 3/4 of the anemones that come in, dont survive.

Yeah - shipping is tough on them. Especially if they aren't in good h20 conditions at their destinations after transit. Which is usual for a LFS.
Little more than 75% though....

GSELLERS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the vendor does.

did not realize that was a carpet.....S. Mertensi????

as far as 3/4 of them not making it, is not entirely accurate

OP
OP
B

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gsellers

I could garuntee you that out of 100 giganteas and magnificas on 25 live. Bubbletips that are wild caught i would say maybe 50 percent.

I am actually trying to manually stimulate fusion of the tear. Hold it in place lets the anemone retract and pull in the peice and hopefully heal, the mouth is tight so im gonna keep praying.

Last edited:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All USPS boxes get shipped by Fed Ex or UPS. USPS does not have there own airline therefore about 70 percent is flown by Fed Ex and about 30 percent by UPS. So, who's to blame when it comes to reputation?
I ship from 100-150 frags per week through USPS and I have found them to be the best. The only problem is there insurance, they rarely pay out if there is an issue.
Bottom line is that if you ship or receive a lot of packages you will find that all (Fed Ex, UPS, USPS, DHL) shipping companies make mistake after mistake.

funny thing is that usps goes on some of the same planes as fedex

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't any clowns in the anemone right now is there? I had a Mag that my old pair of Maldives just shredded and killed it was about 12'' across if not more.The female absolutly lost her mind when I put in the tank...I would let it heal up with out the harassment of any clowns for awhile....It looks like it is doing pretty good considering.

OP
OP
B

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are clowns with it

Hosting actually stimulates recovery just like anemones do for clowns for newly shipped clowns.

My pair doesnt mess with it but the male will periodically go over and brush up against the the outer ring. It has also pooped a couple times since i got it. No feeding response but when it gets a feeding response i got gutloaded mysis with selcon waiting.

Im bummed but hopefully recovery is coming, the mouth is tighter then my magnifica's was when i first got it.

My magnifica is what let me to be able to buy the mertens. Mertens are much hardier, i just need to make sure that i can get it to eat.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back