Beautiful Hitchhiker

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID this hitchhiker…it’s actually really pretty. I hope it can stay. Thanks I’m advance.
6898CE06-C47F-43B0-88CD-223DC1CA83E0.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a large aiptasia and that's not a good thing. They reproduce very fast and will kill corals.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry..couldn’t resist…I’ve tried to kill this sucker like a hundred times…it’s in a hard place to get to, back bottom corner. It’s freakin HUGE too.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right…it’s like the size of my Flame Angel in the background. Luckily, it seems to be the only one that I haven’t been able to kill. Maybe I should name it….like after an impossible to kill Marvel Villain or something.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess... if you have some ways of keeping its baby's from spreading (ie, either via good monitoring/aggressive maintenance, or an army of peppermint shrimps), then i guess you can keep this one as a trophy...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also get that GSP away from your main structure before its too late

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to throw the proverbial monkey wrench into the whole Aiptasia belief trend with my personal experience regarding the large ones. (Again, just my experience.) I also had a large one like this that I could not get to due to it's position in the tank. So I started planning on how to get rid of it. With so many cures being hit or miss, I figured Berghia nudibranchs would be my best bet. But buying a bunch of Berghias for one Aiptasia seemed a little overkill for critters that only ate Aiptasia. So I decided to wait until it started to spread... and waited and waited and waited. The "Aiptasia" just kept getting bigger and bigger and never did spread. After 3 years I picked up a Copperband which slowly whittled it down by eating the tentacles causing it to shrink down into oblivion. I have never found another. Doing a little research, there are so many anemones that look very similar. Are they all super spreaders?
Has anyone else ever experienced a similar situation with a single "Aiptasia" that did not spread? (@revhtree , QOTD idea.)
@Charley75 , how long have you had this one?

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea…never even thought about them being able to move like any other anemone.
Did you get your LR from the gulf because as you know there are many types of anemones. I feel like most none long tent or bubble top is almost called Aiptasia or Majana.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy how big it is and it being the only one, if it is Aiptasia. Don’t they usually spread when they are still pretty small
I’m not sure , I have a couple that look just like that one with the white circle , nowhere near as big , I have probly around 5 been lazy to kill. I will probly buy berghia eventually

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure , I have a couple that look just like that one with the white circle , nowhere near as big , I have probly around 5 been lazy to kill. I will probly buy berghia eventually
The reason why I asked about his LR because I have LR from the Gulf and have different types of anemones. I got a berghia and put it in a small QT tank and it didn’t do anything to the anemones. So do Berghia’s eat all species of Aiptasia or does it mean my anemones are not Aiptasia....?.....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back