Bedside Pico Jar

Andgott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my bedside Pico jar, Just over a month in.
IMG_2766.jpg

I was inspired by Jean Jaubert's 5L pico bowl- Which uses just the live sand and live rock for filtration. The only water movement in this system is provided by a pulsing Xenia.

My jar is a bit bigger- Just under 3 gallons. It's about as basic as you can get- Live sand, some live rock, Chaeto algae, Dragons breath Algae, Pulsing Xenia, and a single Apistasia (Yes, I have a pet Apistasia ;) ). I also found a Flatworm living in there, too- Every so often he comes out and cruises around the glass a bit. I use a pad style heater under it to keep it at a constant 78 or so degrees- and it's amazingly stable for it's size.

Lighting is a LED ring-style plant light. It seems to be sufficient for the setup- The Chaeto has doubled in size since moving in to the jar. The Dragons breath could PROBABLY use a bit more light, but seems to be doing OK as well- Growing, just very slowly.

Maintenance is pretty simple. I top it off daily (sometimes more than once a day) with RO water. I keep a container of it nearby so it's easy to do- and hard to forget since I walk past it all day long. Once a week, it gets about a 10-20% water change. I spot feed the Xenia about once a week or so, with AB+.

This has been a fun little experiment- And now I have to make one for my wife because she wants one in her office. It has led me to look for potential pico jars everywhere... This one came from Wal-Mart, but I've been stalking all the stores looking for that "perfect" tank...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back