Been in the hobby a few years, but new to R2R. Hello!

dandannoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm on ReefCentral and nano-reef, but for my next build, I'm going to need lots of help/advice so I figured I'd join the online community with the reputation as being the friendliest. :) So here I am!

I set my first reef tank up in 2014, a sumpless 20 gallon long. I still have the tank, but I'm ready to go bigger. Here is my old build thread from Nano-Reef:

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/to...20l-first-tank-updated-got-some-fish-finally/

I'm currently building a 60 gallon tank and I have lots of questions about setting up my overflow, plumbing, automation, system controller, dosing, reactors, etc. That stuff is all new to me!

Here's the tank I'm planning to set up. I actually bought it several years ago, it's just been sitting in my garage. I'm considering taking out the internal overflow and installing a ghost overflow.

20171018_074031.jpg

I originally was going for a very flush, minimalist stand, but I've since added trim to the stand. Here's basically where I am now with it.
vDkvMaGooGWIb8mtbgZf5289WnIk_m1rBp00LhGc3M5Uf5t2xqfqdtGxaxgUoW1ce4GNElt5ZpFir2-tWVOpKLCzoW2r5TjoMjHg49KLwib7pc18NQfqzIjBiwIzawgZyzyCSEcJlly3V-4QoRnRyVswXY9FgDOOQgkrxIUTlTNJ338GFpqybDMEFJbElyvsG6WfWxajhWmhP7sP7wKmyCCTqIVUlDhEkugeoT-I7xzky_YQYZOIWFrx2ewrbZtEgJxUhsC8THB5jA-AWhaUBBquA7UBcUx_YDYmeE16KxIOsPGrhVL3Nx_7swjX0wxoHG5Zhh68pQJNMyWuZgFjjqfn5QF8mTdfNyU1ywT1Sn-Yn0Gyd_neq6HM-8VPYG5L3QnBwI533Ojn_xzig_3HU3wrR_wP99PQIGJ9mFd8S_KyNmKetLEDZemDvl8jbJ9XXCL-xXCe5QBTPRVXG6dJtJdH6gqni3viXeLLdRZH28LcfMeIfGYE6fSwTDbkwYV2bIDsIHypv2lNs0LrSc7ZahG7guk8Vd7mFwV9LTSHuo-mPfQvkYGIB28GMczqexBIvSFXTRpFgG-JyYz34NVX2AlTP6Qk_PoQKJwWqmvGw14=w820-h615-no

What would be the best way to get advice? A tank journal? New posts for each question? Don't want to break any rules, so just let me know what would be the best way to tap into all the knowledge from experienced reefers out there.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2reef! You can post in the “member tanks” sub forum to post a build thread and ask questions or ask questions across all of the different sub forums on Reef2reef.

There are plenty of experienced reefers here to help. So ask away!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! There's not a whole lot of rules and even then the mods will let you know what's wrong and help you fix it if you somehow do something wrong. I would do a tank build thread, probably under Member's tanks (mine is under nano reefs since its a 20 gallon). If you have a particular question and it generally follows a certain trend or topic, I would post it under the corresponding thread. Try to limit the amount of different topic questions you ask in a thread, otherwise some of them may go unanswered as others focus on a particular question.

A few other things to remember for Reef2Reef: Everyone on here whose active and likes to help people love parameter values, even if it's not a chemistry issue, always be prepared to give parameters :) pictures are always great, especially if your question involves the way something looks.

Since you already have experience with other forums, I'm sure you will do fine here :) take a look around and be sure to reach out for help if you need it :D

OP
OP
dandannoodles

dandannoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! There's not a whole lot of rules and even then the mods will let you know what's wrong and help you fix it if you somehow do something wrong. I would do a tank build thread, probably under Member's tanks (mine is under nano reefs since its a 20 gallon). If you have a particular question and it generally follows a certain trend or topic, I would post it under the corresponding thread. Try to limit the amount of different topic questions you ask in a thread, otherwise some of them may go unanswered as others focus on a particular question.

A few other things to remember for Reef2Reef: Everyone on here whose active and likes to help people love parameter values, even if it's not a chemistry issue, always be prepared to give parameters :) pictures are always great, especially if your question involves the way something looks.

Since you already have experience with other forums, I'm sure you will do fine here :) take a look around and be sure to reach out for help if you need it :D

Awesome advice. Yes - I'm always a stickler for parameters, especially during tank startup. Light parameters on the other hand - PAR ratings and all that... no clue.

I'll start a thread in member's tanks!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome advice. Yes - I'm always a stickler for parameters, especially during tank startup. Light parameters on the other hand - PAR ratings and all that... no clue.

I'll start a thread in member's tanks!
Im with you on that no idea on par values and such, i just blast em with my 5 kessils and watch em grow.
20171020_132632.jpg

OP
OP
dandannoodles

dandannoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im with you on that no idea on par values and such, i just blast em with my 5 kessils and watch em grow.
20171020_132632.jpg
Wow, your tank is amazing! Are those a360s? That's a lot of coin!

I am still debating lighting for this 60 gallon. I like the shimmer of pendant style lights. Thinking maybe two a360s or even maybe two AI Primes if I can get away with it.

Don't plan on going too SPS heavy, so maybe it would work!

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank is amazing! Are those a360s? That's a lot of coin!

I am still debating lighting for this 60 gallon. I like the shimmer of pendant style lights. Thinking maybe two a360s or even maybe two AI Primes if I can get away with it.

Don't plan on going too SPS heavy, so maybe it would work!

They look like a160

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back