Been too long...Glad to be making my way back into the hobby

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R and Welcome to Tampa @waywardreefer !!!

Benny-Hill.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thank you for your service. Reefkeeping becomes so much easier when you retire and don't have to PCS all the time. Good to have a cohort in the hobby and hopefully your wife will get into it as much as you. It sure makes any future deployments more manageable. Looking forward to the build when you finally get a round tuit.

OP
OP
waywardreefer

waywardreefer

Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thank you for your service. Reefkeeping becomes so much easier when you retire and don't have to PCS all the time. Good to have a cohort in the hobby and hopefully your wife will get into it as much as you. It sure makes any future deployments more manageable. Looking forward to the build when you finally get a round tuit.
I'm definitely looking forward to the future stability of retirement for sure! I'm just glad the job in Tampa is a 4-yr controlled, so I have that going for me.

R0nald_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your service and congrats on the new assignment in Florida. I just got stationed at GFAFB and I have decided to start my new tank here in housing. I am also a gym rat, but not nearly as dedicated as you are. I am just getting started back into the hobby since leaving Germany, and I am having a hard time finding reef support in the Grand Forks area. Did you ever find anyone here that was into the hobby? The only saltwater/coral LPS in the area is in the mall, but it is very limited. I would be interested to see how your tank progresses as we are both transitioning from FOWLR tanks to the reef world.
Best of luck to us both...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 11

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Glad to be starting back in the hobby and happy to be a supporter of R2R and partner as of this afternoon.

I'm active duty military and move around a lot. I started the hobby when I was stationed in Hawaii with a 55 gallon FOWLR I bought used on the island (2012). After my time in HI was done (2013), I was stationed in Colorado and that's when/where I got my first reef tank. When I was at MACNA in Denver (2014), I was able to pickup an IM30L from the AI guys on the floor and it all started from there. I spent some time with the crew from the Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society while there. Toward the end of my tour in Colorado I had to breakdown everything, sell it off, and move...divorce..etc...etc.. Since then I have been stationed in Grand Forks in North Dakota and haven't had the chance/opportunity to setup a tank yet due to deployments...

NOW I'm about to head down to Tampa for at least the next 4 years and its time to start a new build and a new tank! New wife, new life, new base, new reef! I've been slowly collecting equipment like pokemon and will hopefully be starting a build in early spring of '20 once I have moved (~ January).

Some tidbits about me:

Married my best friend. She's amazing, my rock, and absolutely supports my reef bug
WIFE.jpg

In between my tanks, I got into photography for a while...I'm looking forward to syncing the two up together...there was a ton of great info out there in the Photography Forum...definately check it out if you haven't already. Since I haven't had a tank after getting my camera, I practice a lot at Zoos...way easier than people for sure...here are a few of my favs...
birds.jpg
Chimp.jpg
gator.jpg

I'm a gym rat...wasn't always that way for sure...but gotta get it in! Not young anymore, so had to make some better life decisions in my mid 30s...so turned it around and never looking back. Open to fitness/nutrition advice for anyone interested. I'm getting my Masters in Exercise Science & Sports Management #carnivore #steaksnotcakes #zerocarb #meatheals
GYM.jpg

And had the chance to ran into these two icons at Denver MACNA back in '14 @Ryanbrs
JOEY.jpg
RYAN.jpg

My old MACNA haul...since I lived in Colorado Springs at the time, they let me take all the free water I could carry off the floor...came out of there with an IM30L w/Stand, Reactor, Ghost Skimmer, Neotherm Heater, & 60 gallons of water for $400 cash...sweet deal at the time
MACNA_HAUL.jpg
30IM.jpg

An old shot of my first FOWLR when I was back in HI
FOWLR.jpg
Glad you are back, tank super nice

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back