Before adding corals

Rickstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I recently just replaced my old 50 gal SCA Aquariums cube tank with a new Aqua Japan 65 gal rectangle style tank. After cycling and adding/transferring fish, my tank is almost fully stocked with the fishes I want and soon to be adding corals.

My question is, should I do a last attempt to get rid of any parasites while the tank is currently a FOWLR tank? The fishes I transferred are pretty much healthy and I did use “safety stop” for the new fishes I added. But as a final attempt, what are your thoughts on a medicating and treating the tank to get rid of any parasites or diseases before stocking up on corals?

I understand that bacteria die off is possible and I do understand that carbon can pull most chemicals I add out of the tank if I do decide to treat the tank.

Experienced and educated answers only! Thank you

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t put medications in a tank you want to be a soon-to-be-reef. I would imagine it would set you up for a lot of frustration given the sensitivity to certain medications for inverts, fauna, and corals.

Hospital tank would be best if you find something you need to treat for.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back