Before and After chemiclean for Cyano

Brandon103095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of background, been battling cyano for weeks, it was to the point it was taking over my zoas and even my clam, my water changes were not enough to keep up with the spread. I tried getting some cyano eaters but nothing seemed to be working, i resorted to chemiclean. Below are my before/after pics and videos (48 hours apart). Amazed at the results.
Now to figure out the root cause and fix that!

IMG_2016.JPG IMG_2052.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2017.MOV
    2.6 MB
  • IMG_2051.MOV
    1 MB

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah when used properly it is a great product. I find good flow to avoid dead zones and maintain a pH of 8 or higher helps as well.

OP
OP
B

Brandon103095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah when used properly it is a great product. I find good flow to avoid dead zones and maintain a pH of 8 or higher helps as well.
thinking it might be a light issue, the cyano only appears in the "display" area, the corners and areas in the back that are dark dont have any

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run less white light if you have LED.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking it might be a light issue, the cyano only appears in the "display" area, the corners and areas in the back that are dark dont have any

I think its probably a flow issue. They build up in low flow (in light though as they are photosynthetic).

OP
OP
B

Brandon103095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its probably a flow issue. They build up in low flow (in light though as they are photosynthetic).

Good to know... ive been thinking of upping my flow but all my corals seem so happy and my elegance is the main one i dont want to tick off. its a 40 GAL cube and he takes up like half the sandbed. Worried if he gets too much flow itll stress him out and kill him

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know... ive been thinking of upping my flow but all my corals seem so happy and my elegance is the main one i dont want to **** off. its a 40 GAL cube and he takes up like half the sandbed. Worried if he gets too much flow itll stress him out and kill him

You can get variable speed pumps or something like that which could help if you have trouble with placement. I would consider a gyre though as it would fit well in the corer in your tank (imo)

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this product recently and here's what happened!

I followed directions exactly and........it worked great.....but! I've had cyano in the past and was able to get over it with doing anything drastic. I've been keeping tanks for a very long time and I've never used a quick fix before. I was battling cyan for about 3-4 months and got fed up and tried the chemiclean quick fix. After the treatment my cyano was completely gone and everything was great for about a week, then I noticed my Monti Cap starting to recede, my GSP closed up for about a week and stopped growing and my leathers looked awful. While I had the cyano all my corals were growing great. A couple weeks late I lost half my monti but the rest of the corals started to open back up and look ok. Now, it's been about ~2 months maybe more, all corals starting to grow again but now I have a huge Dino outbreak. I think I liked the cyano better. I think killing off the cyano gave room for the Dinos to go nuts. I know I will never use chemiclean again....its much better to fix the underlying issue rather than a quick fix! I've since upgraded my filtration and hopefully I can get over the Dino's.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back