Beginner Coral Recommendations for my Tank

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure this has been asked many a time on here. I found a good link about some beginner corals: https://thebeginnersreef.com/19-best-corals-for-beginners-with-pictures/. I'd like to avoid anything that could potentially poison me, since this is my first time working with corals. I've attached a picture of my tank setup. My specific question is, How do you design/layout/choose your corals? For my particular tank setup/layout, what do you recommend?

IMG_20210529_083528.jpg

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s get some info first. What size tank, what size pump and/or wave maker? Zoanthids and mushrooms are usually a safe bet since they aren’t all too picky, some can be though.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms, zoas, leathers are all pretty hardy and good for beginners. I would not recommend xenia or gsp.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas/palys are getting a bad wrap. Yes they can contain hazardous toxins. As long as you're aware it's never an issue. Just make sure to thoroughly wash your hands after touching.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those corals suggested above are all fine. Euphillias and Duncans are also very hardy if you want something with bones. These ones belong to a group called "LPS" corals. There are other noob friendly LPS too you can google. Just stay away from SPS for now.

As for design/placement. That's basically depends on the specific care and condition of the flow and lighting needs of the coral. Please look up each coral before you purchase to make sure you have the right spots to put them based on your rockwork and flow pattern

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back