Beginner friendly Sps?

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently came back to the hobby and jumped right into a beginner sps nano. I added most all of my frags within the first month. I'm 3-4 months in.

I've had success so far with plating montis, branching digitatas, pocis, stylos, and birdsnest. I lost a PC rainbow acro. Nearly lost a green tipped and scripps acro, but managed to save some little frags that are hanging in there. The stylos have been very finicky. They don't seem to like parameter swings, especially ALK. Now that my tank is more stable, they are much happier. The green poci was basically dead when it was shipped to me, but has fully recovered and growing each week. Birdsnest had been mostly dormant for a couple months, but is just now showing new growth on it's tips. My purple digi is showing tons of growth lately. Red monticap is one of my fastest growers and it's been in the tank since the first week. I just added a chunky green slimer frag to test acros again.

I wouldn't be scared of the hardier SPS. Give it a shot, but make sure your parameters are within their tolerance. And expect to wait for them to settle in.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently came back to the hobby and jumped right into a beginner sps nano. I added most all of my frags within the first month. I'm 3-4 months in.

I've had success so far with plating montis, branching digitatas, pocis, stylos, and birdsnest. I lost a PC rainbow acro. Nearly lost a green tipped and scripps acro, but managed to save some little frags that are hanging in there. The stylos have been very finicky. They don't seem to like parameter swings, especially ALK. Now that my tank is more stable, they are much happier. The green poci was basically dead when it was shipped to me, but has fully recovered and growing each week. Birdsnest had been mostly dormant for a couple months, but is just now showing new growth on it's tips. My purple digi is showing tons of growth lately. Red monticap is one of my fastest growers and it's been in the tank since the first week. I just added a chunky green slimer frag to test acros again.

I wouldn't be scared of the hardier SPS. Give it a shot, but make sure your parameters are within their tolerance. And expect to wait for them to settle in.
Thanks allot man imma def give it a shot

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need more nutrients/less light, they are typically considered easier because they lend themselves more to the lower end/beginner tank conditions. Acro dominate tanks tend to be the opposite. I know in my case my softie tank grew birdsnest really fast and while they are growing in my acro tank they are much slower.
I’m wondering if this was my issue, my tank was low nutrient and I attached mine higher up under my hydras. I lost two nice but different variety birdsnest from WWC even though all other coral I have seems to do well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back