Beginner looking for RODI systems

Reef Quest 11

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2026
Messages
43
Reaction score
26
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have about a month old 20 gallon reef tank and am looking to start doing water changes.

I figured the best way to do that is to get a rodi system to make the water in my house.

I have an extra hook up (I think) with my laundry, and was hooking to just plug it right into that. I've also heard a T splitter would let you plumb it right out of the laundry hook up aswell.

I have very little knowledge about rodi systems, would basically all of them be suitable for what im trying to do?

Any brand recommendations? Anything you wish you knew before you got one? Is there much upkeep?

I believe I have fairly soft water, and am probably planning on something like 10% water changes weekly, so I would be making something like 2 gallons a week.
 
Spectrapure maxcap standard system.

mine came with a murlock fitting that screws right onto a hosebib and would connect right to a washer hookup. You also have the option of using the washer drain line in the wall to run the waste line to. Makes it super simple.

Good luck!
 
Hi all!

I have about a month old 20 gallon reef tank and am looking to start doing water changes.

I figured the best way to do that is to get a rodi system to make the water in my house.

I have an extra hook up (I think) with my laundry, and was hooking to just plug it right into that. I've also heard a T splitter would let you plumb it right out of the laundry hook up aswell.

I have very little knowledge about rodi systems, would basically all of them be suitable for what im trying to do?

Any brand recommendations? Anything you wish you knew before you got one? Is there much upkeep?

I believe I have fairly soft water, and am probably planning on something like 10% water changes weekly, so I would be making something like 2 gallons a week.
I got a BRS RODI system. 6 stages since my tap water is high TDS (Total Dissovled Solids). It came with a faucet fitting and attachments to plumb it directly to under sink piping and drains.

For the most part any system will do for you depending how dirty your tap is. Maintenance is easy. Keep an eye on the color of the DI resin to indicate change times. Keep an eye on pressure and your TDS meter (usually comes with one) to monitor your sediment and RO filters for changing, as pressure drops or TDS stays higher after running for a few minutes this idicates it may be time to change sediment or carbon or RO membrane.

For Gallons Per Day (GPH) just go with 75 or whatever the minimum is as you won't need a ton.

They seemed complex to me when researching but they are quite simple.

The T split is easy. Attaches to you laundry hookup and splits 2 ways, one for the laundy and one for the RODI.

Only thing to find out for me was how much pressure am I getting from the faucet. In my case it was about 40PSI so I added a booster pump that brings me to 90PSI. 50 is the minimum.
 
I've purchased a couple ro/di systems over the years. From Bulk Reef Supply.
All of my 0 tds water needs have been for larger tanks, so I don't know what a good fit for a 20 gallon tank right now.
I would call BRS and see what they have to say.
 
Bulkreefsupply, spectrapure and buckeye hydro are all good. I would recommend getting at least a 4 stage, so you'll have a sediment pre-filter, 2 activated carbon filters, then it will go through the RO membrane, and afterwards at least 1 preferably 2 mixed bed deionizing filters (the 'DI' part of RODI) is what i would recommend for standard culinary water filtration. If you have low pressure ( < 50psi ) look into getting a booster pump with it. It will pay for itself in increased filter efficiency.

As far as hook-ups, you can get adaptors that will let you do that with pretty much any of them. You will need a 3/4 female hose bib by 1/4 push lock fitting. The laundry is good too because you will have an easy access drain for reject water.
 
Thanks everyone, lot of really great info!! Appreciate all the help, think this will get me what I need!
 
Found out my township uses chloramines to treat the water so I think that makes the amazon ro buddy a no go.

Currently planing in the 5 stage premium plus from brs
 
Found out my township uses chloramines to treat the water so I think that makes the amazon ro buddy a no go.

Currently planing in the 5 stage premium plus from brs
BRS running a sale on their RODI units right now.
A 4 stage 75gal will do just fine for your 20gal.
Make sure to get the value plus kit, it comes with TDS meter and flow pressure meter
 
BRS running a sale on their RODI units right now.
A 4 stage 75gal will do just fine for your 20gal.
Make sure to get the value plus kit, it comes with TDS meter and flow pressure meter
Saw the sale, awesome timing!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new