Beginner, new tank, Corals

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to the saltwater side but have spent about 3 years looking into it and finally made the jump. My tank is pretty fresh, is cycled and has leveled out after adding a pair of clowns. Everything has been going well so far.

Someone in my area needs to get rid of there tank and wants to know if I would take their corals as he cannot take care of them and showing signs of starting to die due to lack of maintance. Claims no diseases just starting to have an algae problem and not doing proper maintance.

I am not sure my tank is ready for corals and dont want to take them if they are just going to die. Just wondering if I could get any input on if I should take them.

(zoas, unknown mushroom or 2, and a toadstool mushroom) (also AI prime light)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to the saltwater side but have spent about 3 years looking into it and finally made the jump. My tank is pretty fresh, is cycled and has leveled out after adding a pair of clowns. Everything has been going well so far.

Someone in my area needs to get rid of there tank and wants to know if I would take their corals as he cannot take care of them and showing shines of starting to die due to lack of maintance. Claims no diseases just starting to have an algae problem.

I am not sure my tank is ready for corals and dont want to take them if they are just going to die. Just wondering if I could get any input on weather or not I should take them.

(zoas, unknown mushroom or 2, and a toadstool mushroom) (also AI prime light)
All corals that are fairly easy to care for from a beginners point of view.

How old is your tank? Have you started to see any sign of coraline algae growing?

I would not bee too worried of taking them on- as long as you stay on top of your water changes, do your testing as required and so on.

What is your plan down the line with regards to managing alk, cal and mag? :)

OP
OP
Schlagel Bagel

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting a Kamoer F1 dosing pump and running the tropic marine all for reef.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan! :) I'd go for those corals; good beginner ones all of them so as long as you have a plan in place- and keeps up your maintenance you'll do well!

I would check with your man the light settings of the Prime; maybe even dial yours back a little. It's easier to burn the coral with too much light.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your new to this than stick to your own tank and what you can manage, it will work out better and easier in the long run 'for you'.
it's a great opportunity but I would decline and just concentrate on your aquarium.
You have a whole new vision and new aquarium in front of you (I assume) fill it with what you want, not some neglected rejects

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back