Beginner with Seahorses

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to do a reef tank with seahorses. I’ve been in the hobby for about a year but haven’t done seahorses before... is there any species I should start with? I’ve seen dwarfs and they seem pretty cost efficient.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarfs cannot be kept in a reef tank. They only get to about 1" +- and need constant supply of live food, usually in the form of enriched brine shrimp nauplii but can be supplemented with appropriate copepods.
Standard seahorses CAN be housed with reef type inhabitants if those inhabitants are chosen SPECIFICALLY to be seahorse suitable. No aggressive tank mates, no stinging corals or anemones, suitable for the cooler needs (68° to 74°F) that are best for seahorse keeping (most species) That's just the short list of specifics. If you check out all the stickies that head this forum it can educate you MUCH better than I can do in a post.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do dwarves, it’s best to do a small tank, like a 5 gallon, so that the concentration of food (baby brine shrimp) is high enough.

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done both (in the process of setting up another large seahorse tank and still have my dwarves) and I think the dwarves require much more time and effort. But it depends on what size tank you're talking about, and what you mean by "reef tank".
Sue

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done both (in the process of setting up another large seahorse tank and still have my dwarves) and I think the dwarves require much more time and effort. But it depends on what size tank you're talking about, and what you mean by "reef tank".
Sue
I’m going to do lots of different algaes, Gorgonians, sponges, zoanthids, and mushrooms. A more natural Floridian style reef tank.

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found hippocampus erectus to be the most "beginner friendly" seahorse. Very hardy and beautiful. You will need a minimum of 30 gallons per pair. I strongly suggest buying from a reputable breeder. Starting with strong, healthy seahorses that have been captive bred and raised will save alot of headache (and heartaches). LOVE my seahorses!

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found hippocampus erectus to be the most "beginner friendly" seahorse. Very hardy and beautiful. You will need a minimum of 30 gallons per pair. I strongly suggest buying from a reputable breeder. Starting with strong, healthy seahorses that have been captive bred and raised will save alot of headache (and heartaches). LOVE my seahorses!
Seahorses do give you a lot of joy and a stress free mind while you sit there and watch them I love my Seahorses also

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back