Beginner

Gavin1274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, my name is Gavin and I was wanting to start a saltwater aquarium. I was wanting to get some advice on starting an aquarium and basic things I'm going to need to start and average price for starting and ect!! Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Here are a few threads with lots of info for you

The supreme guide to setting up a saltwater aquarium

Quarantine and acclimation

And cycling an aquarium

As far as price, it's going to greatly depend on you. Size tank you want, what fish and corals you want to keep ect...
But welcome to R2R!!
A2ZL3Je.gif
#WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
Gavin1274

Gavin1274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Gavin, welcome to R2R! Lots of great info here! What size aquarium are you thinking about getting?
I've talked to people before and they have said that 40 gallons is the lowest you want to go with them. But I've been looking at tanks on craigslist that are usually around 60 to 80 gallons!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, my name is Gavin and I was wanting to start a saltwater aquarium. I was wanting to get some advice on starting an aquarium and basic things I'm going to need to start and average price for starting and ect!! Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Lots of people on here to help or tell you what to read, but I provide direct answers to most simple questions. For tough questions, I may waffle a bit and let someone else handle those.

You say you want to start a saltwater aquarium. My advice is do this asap. Great idea!
Average price of a saltwater aquarium depends upon your budget. Most of us on here use all of our spare money to purchase stuff for our set-ups. Last year in America over 3 billion dollars were spent, and maybe more, so having lots of disposable cash is the key. The local fish store will be glad to help you spend. Before you buy stuff, make a list of what critters you want to put in the tank and then find out what you will need in equipment to succeed.

You also mentioned that you might purchase a Craigslist tank. Try to purchase a tank that has no chips, cracks, or other issues that could cause a tank failure. It is best if you can see the tank filled with water and operational before you decide to purchase.

If you buy a glass tank, be very careful when moving these. They chip very easily if you bump the edge. If you get a big tank, they weigh a lot and it is best if you can get other people to help you move them. So that's a little about what I know and would share with a person looking at getting an aquarium started. Go slow, ask questions, do research, and

Welcome to Reef2Reef.
Aquaman welcomes you.gif
This is the best it gets.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back