Beginnings of coralline algae?

Deep_Six Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, it's my first time starting a tank with dry rock. Tank it's about 2.5 months old, stocked with fish, no corals. I haven't rushed the corals because I have other tanks to hold them until i feel like this one is ready, i haven't tested parameters but I'll run an API nitrate test for **** and giggles, i see between 5 and 10 ppm. Salinity is .026. does this look like coralline growth to you? It only grows outside of direct light, does not baste off and i have to scratch it with a fingernail to get it to lighten up. I seeded with snails that have a bunch on Thier shells.
PXL_20221227_025933844.jpg
PXL_20221227_030011745.jpg

OP
OP
Deep_Six Corals

Deep_Six Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll keep an eye on and report back here in a few days. I see some of the same on 5he corners of the glass where I can't get too with the scrubber

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll see it on powerheads, equipment and the glass before the rocks most likely

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what others are seeing but some of it looks like coralline to me. The lighter pink stuff not so sure about but the first pic definitely has some darker spots towards the bottom of the rock that is.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks being white still is what makes me know it's not coraline. Coraline comes at the end of the uglies, not the start.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, it's my first time starting a tank with dry rock. Tank it's about 2.5 months old, stocked with fish, no corals. I haven't rushed the corals because I have other tanks to hold them until i feel like this one is ready, i haven't tested parameters but I'll run an API nitrate test for **** and giggles, i see between 5 and 10 ppm. Salinity is .026. does this look like coralline growth to you? It only grows outside of direct light, does not baste off and i have to scratch it with a fingernail to get it to lighten up. I seeded with snails that have a bunch on Thier shells.
PXL_20221227_025933844.jpg
PXL_20221227_030011745.jpg
What is your calcium and alkalinity? Probably more important than nitrate. It might be coralline not sure, that is the color that normally shows up. Normally shows up in tiny pink circles that starts slow and exponentially expands with time. Keep up your alk and calcium and your entire dry rock work will be 100% purple and pink in a year.

My tank started as all dry rock with 1 piece of real live rock as a seed. I’m to the point where if I put a dry rock in the tank, it is totally purple in about 3 months. I’ll attach a picture of what was once dry rock.

Attachments

• 8ACBB8EC-1A55-405B-B0A0-21ACF82F1F86.jpeg
    8ACBB8EC-1A55-405B-B0A0-21ACF82F1F86.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 110

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks being white still is what makes me know it's not coraline. Coraline comes at the end of the uglies, not the start.
This is true. Normally that white rock will turn totally brown before coralline begins to grow on it.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true in most cases but not all. If you put a white piece of rock in my tank it will be covered purple in a week or two without going brown first. If he Seeded and has snails it’s completely possible.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true in most cases but not all. If you put a white piece of rock in my tank it will be covered purple in a week or two without going brown first. If he Seeded and has snails it’s completely possible.
Pics or it didn't happen lol

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up since February, I have coralline growing on my rocks for over 2 months, and have not seen a speck of it growing on my glass or powerheads anywhere.

It seems awfully fast for coralline to grow in your tank, and there is a lot of growth.

Do you have urchins? It looks like the coralline grew, and the urchins have gone over and enjoyed the first layer as a snack ?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A white rock added will still go through an algae / ugly phase first. Natural progression.
I agree, white rocks turn brown, green, magenta, etc... well before coralline forms. I have 4 white rock rubble that I mounted coral to going through those phases now.

OP
OP
Deep_Six Corals

Deep_Six Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the input, I'll post updates here and see if we can get to the bottom of this!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back