Beginnings of this brown slimy stuff Could really use some insight !

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a product called DinoX when i got that brown, slimy bacteria thing, it worked well in my system. Also, maybe the NoPox could be fueling the bacteria.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lett's see, I have the 2 fish. The snails of course ,2 tuxedo urchins misc corals there's Ole stripe a hermit that's been around a long time. His longevity is the only reason he get's a free ride. That's about it.
I bought 7 coraline snails & 2 turbo's today. These 2 are big ! I can easily see them knockin a bunch of stuff over. Just like my new acrapora that took a nose dive right into big Euphylia. I bet that didn't do it much good.Anyway, Jason at the lfs says the Turbo's aren't Mexican but I couldn't tell the difference anyway.As long as they do the job. Oh As for the Blue Hippo being "Whacked out" You are so right! That's what I like about them that and Iv'e never seen one be a bully to others. Now The lfs does have a very beautiful Chevron. He's been there for some time .I think due to the fat price tag. Looks nice & thick ,out in front just all around, looking like a fish I wanna take home ! If mcaroll says I can, that's all I need .;)

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Hello, Playing the waiting game. astrea's are hanging out on the glass mostly a few show up on the rocks. Funny how the astrea's in the 180 always stay on the rocks! The turbos are too busy cruzing the sand bed so I guess they are finding stuff to eat. That's Ok as I have the blasted green stuff in the sand also ! Bach to zero on Po4& No3. So I dosed 1 tbls of No3 & 10 mls of Po4 flourish. I "think" I should at least have enough to see it with my test kits. IOh Ya thw green Slimmer isn't looking good at all. I foolishly allowed a powerhead to send it head 1st into the big euphylia. Found it there the next Morn. Don't think that helped much. That's it ,Good Night !

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a month . The days go by so fast lately. Anyway it's time to check in. Iv'e been doing the waiting game. All the snails seem to be doing just fine.No empty shells at least so there's enough to eat. So with some manual cleaning, the HA is slowly dissipating . I have been dosing Po4 & No3 pretty much every night. Just enough to show up with my test kits. Po4 is around 0.1 No3 I try to keep at 2. The corals look just fine however I do have some brown stuff "on" the sand bed. It's easily vacuumed out. I think I'm just feeding the chaeto ! I can't find a worthy fish to add. Every time I plan a run to the other side of town LFS,something comes up ! I have been feeding heavy the skimmer is turned all the way down.I haven't emptied the cup in a long time.I'm lazy with changing the filter sock.
I'm not sure which way to go now. wait it out & keep dosing? Maybe I'll remove the sock . The skimmer is basically just oxygenating the water at this point. I mean it when I say I love this stuff ! LOL
Thanks for the insight & have a good night !

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sponges growing/living in this tank .

Last edited:

Jeremy Gibbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok So I agree with doing things naturally, I could very well be over reacting to this With the additives .
If you're running a really lean system you may need a long term approach of dosing low levels of nitrate. I find feeding keeps phosphate coming in and you really don't need much. But I am running Marine Pure so if I don't dose KNO3 mine stay at zero. My target is Nitrate at or around 5 ppm and But it's REALLY easy to overdo it. My total system volume is 330 gallons and it's a decently stocked mixed reef with a medium fish load. I mix 45 grams of KNO3 granules with a half gallon of RO and then dose 10 mL of that solution once or twice a day depending on uptake. Dont dump tablespoons of stump remover in your tank if it's 90 gallons. Dinos like it when your water falls below the Redfield ratio (N:p) of 16:1. Get your nitrates up however you want and the dinos should go away. They'll most likely be followed by a diatom bloom though so just be patient. Best advice is slow gradual changes. Also, if your nutrients drop again they might come right back.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks JC, So after a few months . Dosing No3 & po4 the tank doesn't need it now. Just keeping a Little of each present. No brown stull HA has gone down significantly. I little rust y looking stuff is all. I even see a ricordia I hadn't seen in years ! It was even in another tank. This rock came from the old tank at setup. I followed Mcarol's advice & everything has improved . Even the bubble I had is just a little now. I kept nutrients too low thinking it would starve the varying algae. Keeping a little nutrients worked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also A bunch of snails are doing an OK at taking care of what's left. I "finally" , after years & several setups realized that I never had a proper CUC .

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back