Jdzzl03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fam,
IMG-0154.jpg

I am exploring the possibility of adding a Bella Goby to my Red Sea 900XXL mixed reef. I have a 3" sand bed made up of crushed coral and finer sand but my rock work makes it almost impossible to siphon (nor do I want to) so I am looking for something that can help keep my SB clean. I already have Nassarius snails and will add a fighting conch or two later. My only hesitation in getting a Bella is them dumping sand on and irritating corals on the SB. A little is ok but if it is constant and starts harming / killing coral, then I'll need to find something else. Pic for attention. TYIA!!

Best,
James

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Goldenheaded sleeper goby to my fish tank to stir up the sand. I wouldn't add a goby with a clam on the sand bed myself. GL

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Goldenheaded sleeper goby to my fish tank to stir up the sand. I wouldn't add a goby with a clam on the sand bed myself. GL

Depends on the type of clam, size, and if it is on something or directly on the sand. But your point still stands if there are corals on the substrate that could otherwise fall victim to sand sifters. Even my little Links Goby leaves sand trails on a few of my corals.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Bella. Pretty fish and great at sifting sand but dumped sand on corals so resulted in constantly having to blow the sand off the corals. Didn’t kill them, just really annoying.

OP
OP
Jdzzl03

Jdzzl03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, that's what I thought. What about sand sifting stars? I've heard they can prey on your fish but I am curious on your experience.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for sand sifting starts as I do not keep them. I have a bunch of mini/micro stars that live around the rock and what not but never kept the ones cruising the sand bed. I figured they are on the sand, sifting, eating, and I want that stuff. So not sure.

I will say there is one brittle star to be aware of, link below. The Ophiarachna incrassata.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for sand sifting starts as I do not keep them. I have a bunch of mini/micro stars that live around the rock and what not but never kept the ones cruising the sand bed. I figured they are on the sand, sifting, eating, and I want that stuff. So not sure.

I will say there is one brittle star to be aware of, link below. The Ophiarachna incrassata.

Cool link and excellent information. I was not aware that a giant brittlestar was such a threat to our fishes. :eek: :cool:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 132 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back