Bender's Red Sea 625 XXL Build

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello everyone !

So I did this thing, that I probably shouldn't have, and ordered a Red Sea 625 XXL with the v3 sump. The excitement is high and figured I'd start a tank build thread so I can log my progress, but also so I can lower the excitement a little to a manageable level!

I am piecing some stuff together from old builds along with some new items:

Tank - Red Sea Reefer Deluxe XXL 625
Lights - X3 Red Sea 90's with stock mounts
Controller - Old reefkeeper lite off my old tank. Although cannot find replacement probes for this anymore
Return - Current USA DC eflux loop 1950gph
Wave - x2 Current USA DC eflux 2100gph and an old Jabeo wp40 if needed
Skimmer- and old PM150 until much heavier stocked
ATO - integrated red sea ato

My goal is to keep polyps and LPS.

The tank should be coming in next week and am currently planning on how to reinforce the floor joists for the extra weight.

Also am working aquascaping with some older rock from previous tanks. I don't understand how people make these awesome scapes. Mine look like big balls of rock.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
B

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
For the bracing of the floor the tank is going to be over the main beam by about 2'. So I am thinking another joist the length of the tank where the feet will be and then a jack post under the main beam under the new joist as well as another beam on the other side of the tank with a cross support so the beam is supporting all three joists that the tank is going to sit on.
20191129_114856.jpg

https://www.omegasea.net/
OP
B

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Last post for the night - Ready for aquascaping next time I get some time. The boards are up and the rock is ready. My RODI system in the basement is in the way and will have to be moved to the side for the extra floor bracing, so I haven't started making water yet - As i know that is a couple day process by itself.

20191129_202556.jpg
20191129_202539.jpg

And my pup wondering when it's time to go back upstairs.
20191129_202502.jpg

OP
B

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
So i believe i have my choice of aquascape, still making minor adjustments:

20191130_163414.jpg
20191130_163452.jpg

I have also been receiving some of my order in. No tank yet but did get a call yesturday about shipping so hopefully its coming soon! Some heaters, return pump, powerheads, some extra test kits etc... arrived!
20191202_184751.jpg

OP
B

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys. Another update - supplies are still making their way in! Today was a good day. I'm used to reefbreedees LEDs and never seen these little guys before. First impressions are looking good!

20191204_174147.jpg

20191204_182846.jpg

I also made a cutout of my future controller board dimensions and have been organising as I open equipment. Exciting stuff! I've never made a clean board before it's always been spaghetti.
20191204_183042.jpg

On a seperate note for anyone that's been following along. My old IM skimmer isnt making microbubbles and just a PIA. What are some skimmer recommendations for 165g water volume ?

Mastiffsrule

If you like my dog, you should see my cat
View Badges
Reaction score
Build is looking good. You were right though you shouldn’t have. I think they make a bigger tank :p

Water station is awesome. I like the Current stuff. I will have to mention that as an animal lover there are puppy labor laws about working too late.

Keep up the pics.

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral
OP
B

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Build is looking good. You were right though you shouldn’t have. I think they make a bigger tank :p

Water station is awesome. I like the Current stuff. I will have to mention that as an animal lover there are puppy labor laws about working too late.

Keep up the pics.
Haha I looked at the 750 pretty hard. The 900 was way out of line. The 750 would actually fit, tight (wall to window with no play) but couldn't bring myself to pay the extra $$, especially since it would require a fourth light. The current pump and powerheads look really nice so far. The two wavemakers require two separate power cords to the same controller, and it only came with one. I contacted the dealer about getting the second cord in, must have been a mistake.

Chloe, my pup, does not work very hard! As you can see her bumming out just watching from a distance. Sometimes she interrupts for a quick game of fetch :) :)

20191204_195444.jpg

There's a lot here to like! Keep the pictures coming and keep up the good work!!!
Thank you! The anticipation on the tank arrival is killing me! I did finally get the tracking number and it looks like a delivery of 12/10/19. The tank is delivering to my work where i have a loading dock, and also I can't afford to take a day off for delivery after buying all this!

Wow...signing up to follow along. I like the aquascape layout, for what that's worth.
Welcome :) I appreciate that. I am pretty set where it is at now, which is just a tiny modification from the above pictures. I think it will give me a good layout for future coral growth.

Where do you go in case of a real reef tank emergency?

• Me, myself and I

Votes: 224 43.5%
  • Local Friend

Votes: 47 9.1%
  • Reef2Reef

Votes: 198 38.4%
  • Other

Votes: 46 8.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors