Benefits using 2 ro units

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be any benefits using a 2nd ro unit with membrane put into the good water feed from 1st ro unit ? ask because the unit I got is 2 chamber and then going through 2 di resin chambers before into filling tank!

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, you're talking about one entire RO unit running off of the product water line from the first RO unit?

If so, the water coming out of the product line is typically only 1/3 to 1/4 of the pressure going into the system (depending on the product/waste ratio) so it would not be enough pressure to run the RO membrane of the second unit. There probably would not be much benefit anyways since the water coming out of the first system should be very low TDS before going into the DI resin.

What some people will do is add a second RO membrane that uses the water from the first RO membrane's waste line. This can increase the product to waste water ratio to save water but they do require higher input pressure and typically have a slightly lower rejection rate going to the DI resin.

Hopefully that answers your question?

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for that bud" asked because I got another 2 stage ro unit lying around and would just buy new membrane if would make difference " but as you said if will not because pressure going into other unit" I will give miss!
the water is like 4-5 tds coming out good water and then goes into my 2 di resin chambers whot give me 0 tds

but saw a video on youtube where he said that don't always believe whot your tds is saying and the water provided by any single unit will still not be suitable for sps corals

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youtube shmootube. Everyone with a video camera is an expert on there.

0 TDS is 0 TDS. Running 0 TDS through another membrane won't do squat. Just have a look through some of the SPS guru's on here, they all use just a single RO/DI unit and their tanks are very nice.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youtube shmootube. Everyone with a video camera is an expert on there.

0 TDS is 0 TDS. Running 0 TDS through another membrane won't do squat. Just have a look through some of the SPS guru's on here, they all use just a single RO/DI unit and their tanks are very nice.
just swap the carbon and micron filter regular then is key"

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres what I do....

When my TDS creeps up to 1, I change all 3. DI, carbon, and sediment filter. I know I can get more life out of the sediment and carbon blocks, but they are so cheap I choose to change all 3 at the same time that way I never forget to change them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back