Benngai Cardinal’s.. Fighting?

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey coral friends,

I have a fluval 13.5, and my first round of clownfish did not work out, as my tank wasn’t ready for them yet. Beginners mistake!

Second round of fish, 2 Benggai Cardinal fish. The one that is larger than the other one seems to pick on the other one, at times. It will tend to occupy the other’s territory, and at times seem to push it out of certain spaces. Often they will be on opposite sides of the tank from each other.

I am not sure if one is female or both are males, I tried looking for the bumps on their lower side to determine sex, but don’t know what I’m looking for, I guess, OR they both have no bumps. Idk which..

I like them both and want to keep both, I just feel bad sometimes for the smaller one! Perhaps I am overreacting? At times they huddle together i.e during tank cleanings and at times put up with each other (i.e they don’t fight ALL the time).

Thanks for the advice! :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they happen to be a m/f pair, it will work out. If they happen not to be, they won't coexist as they mature.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 24.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

• Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back