Berghia Nudibranch - compatibility

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

I have a small to moderate aiptasia issue in my main display. For the past 2 months, i've been using Aiptasia-X with i guess ok results. My method is putting a little bit on the aiptasia (not shoving the syringe down the neck of the aiptasia). That seems to do ok at best, but i was reading more about the Berghia Nudibranch's and decided last week to order a handful of them. I did as instructions stated, and also added them at night. They found there way to little crevice's and i never saw them again. I'm wondering if possibly some of my fish are eating them? I ask because i have two hawk's in there, hence why i went this route and not peppermint shrimp.

I'm wondering if a week is too soon to tell, or if the Berghia Nudibranch's were doomed to begin with. If that's the case, what other methods does anyone recommend, besides more manually killing.

Thank you,
Artie

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they could have been eaten. They usually only come out at night.
Yu can boil some vinegar then inject aiptasia. You will need to cover with aiptasia x for at least 24 hours so all the body is dissolved.

Snedabyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 12 .25 inch ones dec 23 and 10 .5 inch Jan 10th for my 220 reef tank. I had Aptasia everywhere including all over sand, and snails after attempting some Aptasia x. At first nothing really happened, but The nudibranches reproduced and I would see them clearing sections at night. It’s been almost 2 months now and they have eaten ever single last Aptasia. I never thought it would have worked so good. Now there’s no food for them and they are starting to die:(
2C79FC1A-D7DB-48FB-9817-37B88B6540F3.jpeg

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Takes about 2 months for them to clear out a moderate infestation. I never saw mine after adding them and didn't see a difference until about 3-4 weeks in

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide and reproduce lots, I haven't seen anything eat mine except for my 2 peppermint shrimp, who died shortly after, because I killed them for eating my Berghia.
Now I have a low quantity of Berghia, but enough to keep reproducing and keep aipstatia at bay. I only started with 2, the most I saw in my aquarium at one time was 7-8. I also rehomed/traded a local reefer 3 of them.
They are the best and super cute

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

I have a small to moderate aiptasia issue in my main display. For the past 2 months, i've been using Aiptasia-X with i guess ok results. My method is putting a little bit on the aiptasia (not shoving the syringe down the neck of the aiptasia). That seems to do ok at best, but i was reading more about the Berghia Nudibranch's and decided last week to order a handful of them. I did as instructions stated, and also added them at night. They found there way to little crevice's and i never saw them again. I'm wondering if possibly some of my fish are eating them? I ask because i have two hawk's in there, hence why i went this route and not peppermint shrimp.

I'm wondering if a week is too soon to tell, or if the Berghia Nudibranch's were doomed to begin with. If that's the case, what other methods does anyone recommend, besides more manually killing.

Thank you,
Artie
I had a similar issue in my tank but i have a yellow coris wrasse and i know they can pick at or eat small slugs like that, but he never bothered mine. I put in 3. 2 large ones and medium sized one, and when i put them in they promptly ate 2.that were under the container i placed over them. After that they disappeared, rarely to be seen unless i pull out a.flashlight well after the lights go out.

The good news is, i would notice 2 or 3 more gone every few days over about a month. They made quicker work of it than i thought, and i only have a few aptaisia left. I am sure they will be gone soon as well.

An even bigger concen over the coris wrasse was that i had some very large bristle worms in the rocks and i had read that the bristleworms can be a problem. I made a 3d printed trap and pulled out a rather large number of some really big ones. It took me a few iterations to get the design to work like i wanted, but now i have a super bristleworm trap and the bergjia nudibranches are doing their job wonderfully!

GadgetGirl66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue in my tank but i have a yellow coris wrasse and i know they can pick at or eat small slugs like that, but he never bothered mine. I put in 3. 2 large ones and medium sized one, and when i put them in they promptly ate 2.that were under the container i placed over them. After that they disappeared, rarely to be seen unless i pull out a.flashlight well after the lights go out.

The good news is, i would notice 2 or 3 more gone every few days over about a month. They made quicker work of it than i thought, and i only have a few aptaisia left. I am sure they will be gone soon as well.

An even bigger concen over the coris wrasse was that i had some very large bristle worms in the rocks and i had read that the bristleworms can be a problem. I made a 3d printed trap and pulled out a rather large number of some really big ones. It took me a few iterations to get the design to work like i wanted, but now i have a super bristleworm trap and the bergjia nudibranches are doing their job wonderfully!
Would love to know more about your bristle worm trap.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back