Berghia nudibranch predators.

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate aiptasia with a passion. My hopeless mission is to eradicate them.
I have a separate nano tank to culture berghia nudibranchs. In terms of procreation., they put rabbits to shame. ;Woot The hardest part of culturing are the dang amphipods. They like to eat the berghia eggs. :mad:

I'm considering releasing them into my reef system. But I have some natural predators of aiptasias in my system already. Since the cnidosacs of the berghias contain recycled nematocysts from aiptasia, and also harbor zooxanthellae from the aiptasia, my concern is:

Will the Berghia nudibranchs taste like aiptasia to natural aiptasia predators?

I think Willie the copperband might consider them tasty. He's always poking his beak into holes and trying out new things, including food from my tube anemones and food from the mouths of duncans and scolies. Fortunately he's a model citizen for my corals and only steals food. Not sure about berghia nudibranchs though. He does get the majority of aiptasia, but I do see lots of aiptasia and their annoying offspring all over, under rocks and places he can't get to.

Can anyone verify predation of berghias by Copperbands?
I actually have a list. If anyone can verify predation by:
Copperbands?
Peppermint shrimp?
And just in case, although not natural aiptasia predators, what about Randall's pistol shrimp or sexy shrimp?

If any of these have a taste for berghia nudibranchs, then I'll just release them into the frag tank.
If anyone has experience with potential predation by the list above, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a separate nano tank to culture berghia nudibranchs. In terms of procreation., they put rabbits to shame. ;Woot The hardest part of culturing are the dang amphipods. They like to eat the berghia eggs. :mad:

I'm considering releasing them into my reef system. But I have some natural predators of aiptasias in my system already. Since the cnidosacs of the berghias contain recycled nematocysts from aiptasia, and also harbor zooxanthellae from the aiptasia, my concern is:

I think Willie the copperband might consider them tasty. He's always poking his beak into holes and trying out new things, including food from my tube anemones and food from the mouths of duncans and scolies. Fortunately he's a model citizen for my corals and only steals food. Not sure about berghia nudibranchs though.

Copperbands?
Peppermint shrimp?
And just in case, although not natural aiptasia predators, what about Randall's pistol shrimp or sexy shrimp?

If any of these have a taste for berghia nudibranchs, then I'll just release them into the frag tank.
If anyone has experience with potential predation by the list above, I would greatly appreciate it.
Here read this
67052DE5-CE74-47A4-BBCC-DD07CC0C8A0B.png

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate aiptasia with a passion. My hopeless mission is to eradicate them.

I think Willie the copperband might consider them tasty. He's always poking his beak into holes and trying out new things, including food from my tube anemones and food from the mouths of duncans and scolies. Fortunately he's a model citizen for my corals and only steals food. Not sure about berghia nudibranchs though. He does get the majority of aiptasia, but I do see lots of aiptasia and their annoying offspring all over, under rocks and places he can't get to.

Copperbands?
Peppermint shrimp?

Sorry meant to post this
A15C5362-D280-4C51-9DE6-410A7291573B.png
9FC6FB8B-8288-40BB-A92A-911EB1D61F68.png

OP
OP
ReeferSamster

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here read this
67052DE5-CE74-47A4-BBCC-DD07CC0C8A0B.png
I saw the jpeg screenshot and checked out saltyunderground, thank you. Very informative section they have on berghias. I learned alot, but they are contradicting themselves. They are saying that peppermint shrimp are a serious and common threat, despite what they said in the screenshot.

https://www.saltyunderground.com/ar...ranch-the-natural-choice-for-aiptasia-control

If anyone has first hand experience. Maybe other candidates like pistol shrimp?

Back