Berghia??

TomHertz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone :)
Have kept freshwater for over 1@ years but pretty new to reefing-I’m about 2 months into a fresh to saltwater conversion, midway through the uglies, currently battling dinos.
Noticed a few purple pieces of something I thought might have been corraline on a rock. They’ve since dislodged and I can see approx 10 purple pieces stuck to my filter sock.
Just now I’ve noticed this little guy on the glass, and a Google image search suggests a “Bhergia”. Googling Bhergia brings up how to purchase them… Any ideas? Not sure if they are harmful or not and whether they are in fact a Bhergia.
Last thing added was a couple of zoa plugs about 3 weeks ago.
Thanks!

IMG_0426.jpeg IMG_5966.jpeg

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
possible that it could be a berghia. However if you didnt put it in there and there was no food (aptasia) its not likely. There are zoa eating nudibranchs. they are similar looking, but lack the long tail typically of the berghia. do a google search for those. you may have gotten a very unwanted hitchhiker on your new zoa frags.

OP
OP
T

TomHertz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Much appreciated and very good info. Definitely no aptasia-tank is very new and still settling with only 5 clowns, a starfish, coral banded shrimp, pulsating Xenia and a hammer. All added within 2-3 weeks of cycle completion and all doing well. The only newcomers for a while has been the zoa frags, which admittedly I did not dip :/
I’ll keep an eye on it and on the zoas.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Much appreciated and very good info. Definitely no aptasia-tank is very new and still settling with only 5 clowns, a starfish, coral banded shrimp, pulsating Xenia and a hammer. All added within 2-3 weeks of cycle completion and all doing well. The only newcomers for a while has been the zoa frags, which admittedly I did not dip :/
Where’s there one, may be more.
Check at night.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d guess a Zoa eating nudi if you purchased some and didn’t dip it.. and 5 clowns? What size is your tank?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
that looks like a berghia, it will die off without aptasia, the rock yo bought was probably in a tank that is being treated for aptasia.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which vendor did the Zoas come from? Possible they added berghia in their system for aiptasia, it hitchhiked in, and now that the berghia is out of food they is out cruising in the daytime to look for lunch. However if you don’t have aiptasia, the berghia would be of no benefit, so you might as well remove it in case it actually is something bad like zoa eating nudi.

Always dip zoas!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Definitely looks like one but I haven’t heard of one hitchhiking in, doesn’t mean it can’t happen. Looks like one of the ones I purchased.
EAC2A056-2FEC-4F1C-96C5-7960B234D393.jpeg
Good guys and eat aptasia and lay eggs in which babies often survive

Berghia (for comparison)

1704919892761.png

Zoa eating:

1704919940876.png

OP
OP
T

TomHertz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, thanks for the replies. I’m still learning, and I’ll dip anything I get from now on - rookie error.
It looked like a berghia to me, going on the above pics. Definitely more white/purple in colour and not brown.
Tank is 350L. I don’t plan on getting any more livestock.
It’s 8am here and I just got home from nightshift and I don’t see it anywhere, but I will check again at night to see if it comes out. I saw it before my shift, which was yesterday evening, so thanks for that tip to check at night.
I don’t see any eggs on the zoas right now, but again I’ll keep a close eye on it over the next 24hrs and hopefully I see something. I might remove it to be safe.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good guys and eat aptasia and lay eggs in which babies often survive

Berghia (for comparison)

1704919892761.png

Zoa eating:

1704919940876.png
Ya leaning towards what @Jmp998 said, vendor added Berghia to his system to rid it of aptasia and an egg or juvenile hitched a ride on the zoa.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back