Berlin Method

Pumper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many if you all use this method? I am a firm believer this is the way to go. Well works the best for me. Let's hear something opinions good and bad.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BA934B83-70A5-4BBC-8542-A13A32DD4F34.jpeg F4925856-3000-4683-8289-83F5331A539C.jpeg I think it’s still the base for reef keeping. Live rock and sand with a protein skimmer is pretty much the Berlin method I think. People have just added in things on top. Definitely less rock and bare bottom tanks are more popular. My tank is in perpetual crisis mode. 40 breeder barebottom(recently because dinoflagellates) 40 pounds live rock. Refugium and skimmer. No mechanical filtration. Most of my corals keep growing. Sps struggle.

I think the biggest lesson I’ve learned in recent years is that we want a small amount of nitrates and phosphate.

My most successful tanks were all sumpless and skimmerless. Live rock and sand and macros with softies and LPS. I would overstock those tanks with fish. I always understock now. I think that’s part of the Berlin. I think I need to add more fish.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went completely berlin at first have modified over the years.
Adding and subtracting other filter media to fits what works best for my system. There was still imported live rock when i started so was easier.

Anecdotal at best but never had algae issues till i disrupted the filter feeders in my sump lol. And every additional filter media was added to take their place.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back