Best $100-$150 Protein Skimmer

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I'm worried about is if the pump is gonna crap out and die and I'll have to buy another $70 pump, I'd rather get a $150 protein skimmer in the first place... if you haven't experienced the pump dying then I'm more inclined to settle on it.
I got the skimmer used 2 years ago. The guy had it in use for a few years before that. It’s still going just fine. I may get a new pump for it soon. Found one on amazon for 49.99. I did notice the little rubber end that hold the impeller in place has worn a bit a few weeks ago but it’s still running ok. Only reason I’m thinking new pump instead of just impeller is because it’s 5+ years old.

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the skimmer used 2 years ago. The guy had it in use for a few years before that. It’s still going just fine. I may get a new pump for it soon. Found one on amazon for 49.99. I did notice the little rubber end that hold the impeller in place has worn a bit a few weeks ago but it’s still running ok. Only reason I’m thinking new pump instead of just impeller is because it’s 5+ years old.

Yeah, I should also note that I never had a problem for the year and a half or so I was running it. When I had to shut down I don't think I cleaned it at all before sticking it in unconditioned storage for several years. Not surprising that it wouldn't run properly after that treatment.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the foaming pump can be submerged?

Edit: I looked up the pump and it seems like it can be altered for in-sump usage...
On the RO 110 you are talking about, yes. Most external skimmers can be run in sump as they are usually pumps that can be run in/out of sump plumbed externally. But some skimmers use external pumps, one I had like 15 years ago used a reeflo pump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back