Best Advice?

MVPrevost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, as someone new and still getting into the hobby I was wondering what everyone would give as there 1 piece of advice that would be most useful. Preferably specific advice (e.g. sample your tank consistently or consistent water changes, etc.) as opposed to things like "be patient" which while being good advice just is not something thats very tangible for a newbie.

Captain Redbeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I’ve gotten in life, and in no way is this meant to be an insult.
K.I.S.S. - keep it simple stupid.
We have a tendency to overthink things, create problems that are not problems, “fix” things that aren’t broken etc. if you want a specific example applicable to reefing - you don’t need to buy all of the newest fanciest most expensive controllers and gadgets to have a successful reef tank or to enjoy this hobby. Keep it simple.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
consistency and patience are truly the staple for reef keeping. keeping to a strict routine whilst expanding knowledge. do understand that everything is trial and error, regardless if it has worked for someone else. you will fail, but you will learn a lot so understanding this is key as well. most importantly, have fun with it!

this is what the forum is for. read through threads and soak up all the information and apply it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

If there is one piece of advice I would give, it’s:
QUARANTINE! QUARANTINE! QUARANTINE!

The first thing I did wrong was chose not to qt new fish, and I lost them all fast. Never making that mistake again. It’s a gutting feeling when your first ever reef fish drop dead due to preventable causes.

The second thing is to be smart when originally buying and placing corals. Being a newbie I got a lot of leathers and other invasive corals…in a 13.5 gallon tank. They are huge and making life difficult for all of my other corals.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I’ve gotten in life, and in no way is this meant to be an insult.
K.I.S.S. - keep it simple stupid.
We have a tendency to overthink things, create problems that are not problems, “fix” things that aren’t broken etc. if you want a specific example applicable to reefing - you don’t need to buy all of the newest fanciest most expensive controllers and gadgets to have a successful reef tank or to enjoy this hobby. Keep it simple.
+1

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advise would be Patience, reason being is every Reefer is different in the approach to reef keeping (water changes, dosing, lighting e.t.c) so there really is no right answer. The biggest issue I had with my first few years of keeping saltwater fish and corals was I wanted the instant reef! So I would add Corals and fish too soon, if there was a problem I freaked out and would drastically change water parameters or add chemicals. Best advice I would give anyone just starting out is to research everything you want in your reef, and be very patient cause a solid stable reef takes a lot of time. Good Luck with everything!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add things slowly.
research fish and corals before you add them to make sure they meet your desired care level and tank size.
Stay up on regular water changes until you get the hang of what your parameters are going to do.
Ask for others experiences with equipment you are considering investing in. They might have valuable insight.
Consider starting a QT, if you haven't already. If you don't want to, please consider buying quarantined livestock from a trusted vendor.
Take lots of photos so you can see your progress overtime.
HAVE FUN!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%

Back