Best "All-inclusive" Package?

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am in the process of researching and choosing a new reef tank. Just joined R2R today and am excited to learn everything about reefing! I came across the famous 32 gal LED BioCube on Amazon and it seems like a decent start-up for SPS, soft corals and zoanthids. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? Thank you and appreciate your replies!

This specific package seems like it's about $100 cheaper than buying everything individually, although I probably will purchase two more bags of argonite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TSFVJS/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4_w

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Reefing is a fun hobby, albeit an expensive one. Your title asks which is the best AIO "all in one" ( the term all inclusive we'll reserve for cruises and holiday trips haha). Well, the Biocube is fine for a beginner nano tank. For what is included, it is a decent value. The bag of sand they include in that package deal is plenty. You'll only need a 1 inch or so layer.
Though, I don't like the filtration setup in the back. If you were going to get it, I'd remove the bio-balls back there all-together and see if there is any aftermarket media tray you could add instead to run some chemical filtration like carbon or seachem purigen. The other issue with it is the lighting. From what I've seen, the lighting is not sufficient to support SPS (Acropora, Montipora etc.) corals. For softies and LPS corals the lighting is adequate.

Back to your question, is it the best? No, it's not. The Red Sea brand AIO are probably the highest quality with the Nuvo line being a close second. ELOS of course is pretty neat but I'm leaving them off due to availability. But they are significantly more expensive. If you are OK with trying SPS corals later down the line the Biocube will be a fine tank for you to get into the hobby with.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, sorry I meant to put LPS* haha. Just wanting to try and get some beginner stuff going to boost my confidence. Thank you for your input!
My last All-In-One was 10 years ago, a JBJ 28, I ended up upgrading it to a 150w Metal Halide light, adding one of the first Nano Skimmers and the largest circulation pump I could fit into the back. Because of the Metal Halide light I needed a chiller, still the tank was a great success.

Today I am getting back into the hobby with a Red Sea Nano 28 (21 in the tank and 7 in the sump). While I am by no means an expert, purchase the unit based upon the best lighting available in the stock configuration, consider the JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Cube LED Aquarium - 89 Watt Advanced https://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_28_...J_Lighting-JB7137-FIAQNCCKTLTT-JB7145-vi.html as another option.

Additionally look for what aftermarket accessories are available, what upgrades and how easy they are to install.

As was said before, consider the Red Sea MAX NANO Complete Reef System https://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_MAX_NANO_Complete_Reef_System_Black_Nano_Tank_with_Lighting_Stand_etc_20_29_Gallons-Red_Sea-RS40000-FIAQNCCKCKTT-vi.html

Follow this simple rule "Buy the Best and Cry only Once"

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be biased based on my own experience, because that's all I can speak to.

Another vote for a Red Sea Max aquariums. I have an E170 and I don't have one regret other than I wish I spent more on the E260 for more volume and stocking options.

The light is great, pump is great, Skimmer is great, and the overall build quality is wonderful.

I would highly recommend any of the Red Sea Max aquariums going up to the highest size you can afford and fit in your home. Nothing like buying another aquarium in 2 years because you outgrew the first one so quickly... especially if you already know you are committed to the hobby.

On another note, I've heard good things about Innovative Marine but I have no first hand experience.

Best Regards

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 welcome to the hobby! My first tank was a biocube and I did okay with it but could never get my nitrates under control due to the bio balls. If I did it all over again I could have removed the bio balls and replaced with more live rock.

I just bought a Red Sea Max E 170 because it was an all inclusive package and i LOVE it! Can already tell it's a MUCH better startup albeit a bit more expensive. One thing I've learned in this hobby is you have to be willing to drop some major dough to keep a successful Reef.

Don't let it discourage you because it's equally as rewarding to be a hobbiest

Good luck!

My tank
4e65e9e9623a08a0cb74c491eb99ac98.jpg

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Reefing bug bites it is a Gearheads dream because you are never ever finished, there is always something to do better, over or usually bigger and better.

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Red Sea, my experience is thus: I bought an entry level 24g tank package with adequate skimmer, pumps, lights etc by Aquatop, emphasis on adequate. Within a month I was replacing parts that I didn't care for. Nothing was wrong with them other than aesthetic things, pump was too loud, light was not strong enough to grow sps, I wanted DC motors to control things better, etc. Then you start seeing that fish that you realize you can't put in 24 gallons....and the end result of all of this, 5 months down the road, is I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 arriving tomorrow....I will sell the 24g for a fraction of what I spent on it originally. The extra equipment I have purchased along the way I purposely bought larger than what I needed on the 24g since I knew I would not last long with that one LOL. This is not my first Reefin' Rodeo.

My suggestion is to plan, which is what you are doing. Find that fish that you really, really want....well realistically....and decide on what you need to house it and then get the biggest system you can afford, try to factor in all of those extras that you're eventually going to buy. Dosing pumps, controllers, reactors, Hannah checkers because you are getting too old to read the other kits, etc, etc,. Red Sea has something for everyone in my opinion, remember as well 'You get what you pay for'.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Robinreefs94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also say go with Red sea. I have recently been setting up a 170 reefer and it's a great system. Easy to setup and with fair amount of space to choose different techniques and tweak it in your own liking.

OP
OP
OrthoVet05

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking more along the lines of the SCA 50 gallon starfire. I just can't think of paying that much for the Red Sea atm as much as it sounds great. I feel like this SCA is more of the mid-range what I am looking for. I do appreciate everyones opinions and thoughts though!

https://www.amazon.com/Starfire-Aqu...504815&sr=8-1&keywords=sca+aquarium+50+gallon
Jump on in to the Reefing world and post a build thread, you will not find a nicer community anywhere, everyone has been helpful to me getting back in after 10 years.

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking more along the lines of the SCA 50 gallon starfire. I just can't think of paying that much for the Red Sea atm as much as it sounds great. I feel like this SCA is more of the mid-range what I am looking for. I do appreciate everyones opinions and thoughts though!

https://www.amazon.com/Starfire-Aqu...504815&sr=8-1&keywords=sca+aquarium+50+gallon

I think this is a good deal. I looked at that package as well. Need to add on lighting and wave pumps. It has pretty good reviews.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the sca 50 gallon cube it's coming tomorrow haven't heard a bad thing about them if you go on their web page the 50 gallon pnp is the deal of the day and it cheaper then Amazon think it's on sale till the end of the month

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the one you like the looks of the most. There will always be upgrades you want to do later no matter which brand. You also might want to look on craigslist. Depending where you are there are sometimes red sea and other full set ups for a steal.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the same SCA 50 pnp on the deal for the day. There's a fan boy thread on Reef Central where everyone gushes about the amazing quality but that couldn't have been further from my experience.
You can see my review in Amazon but I will tell you there were multiple quality issues with both the tank and the stand. The stand was put together very sloppily. I had to take one door off and drill new holes to properly line it up. The finish of the stand is poor.
There were multiple areas with messy silicone. There was silicone around the bulk heads holes I had to scrape off, there was excess silicone splattered on the bottom part of the front panel I had to scrape off. One silicone seam has a messed up bead.
The skimmer is a joke. The plumbing included is also a joke. The sump is too large. All around, I can't say I'd recommend an SCA tank. I'd look at used setups locally before I bought another SCA if I couldn't afford new Red Sea or Nuvo Marine.

chef choy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good tanks for lps, and softies, but wouldnt try sps. Dont think the filtration is good enough to really produce the extra results for sps......but great tanks otherwise

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back