Sheluligans' 45G AIO Build

sheluligans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
poop.jpg

( Note the picture is not final layout or placement, just a temporary spot til i find the right home)

I've decided to start my first Salt Water build after a couple years of fresh water! I'm planning on taking it pretty slow setting up, but am almost ready with the initial items for the setup! I'm going to be detailing my thoughts and plans in this thread as well as updates to the setup, and would love any and all feedback.

Note: This is going to be long as it's also just a mental notebook for my build to gather my thoughts.

The list of equipment and Stocking (both purchased and planned) is as follows:

Technical Side​

The Tank + Stand: JBJ 45G AIO (Purchased new like a dummy from LFS).
Filtration: The pumps that came with the tank. It comes with media bags but I've been told I don't need/shouldn't use them. Tank also comes with Filter socks that I may or may not sub out with just regular sponges.
Heating: I've purchased a Bayite Controller and have an Oase 200W heater to pair with it. I've also toyed with the idea of getting a Helio PTC Smart Heater but will wait for a sale if anything.
Flow: Apart from the two return pumps I've purchased a second hand MP40 (just need to purchase a new wet side for it, got for a very good price). I've been told that it may be overkill but I plan to run it very low.
Lighting: I haven't purchased a light yet but was thinking either an AI 26HD, or two AI 16HDs. I'm not entirely sure which lighting is more appropriate for what I want to run but see them both on sale often.
Lid: I have a glass lid, and am thinking of buying a DIY mesh lid but they either have poor reviews, are outrageously priced, or both.
ATO: Got a good deal on a Tunze Osmolator 3155.
AWC: I may also get a great deal on an AutoAqua AWC system. Pending but Not a huge deal if I don't get it.

Testing​

Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/PH: I have a Freshwater API master kit and I was planning on just getting a booklet that has the saltwater values on it. I figure for everything except maybe Nitrate this should be fine. I may get a different Nitrate checker eventually if I find a nice one.
Phos/Alkalinity: I purchased second hand Hanna testers for both of these. The only thing I'm somewhat Unsure about is that there are three different Phos checkers, I got the Phosphate ULR Checker. If I need larger range I will probably pick up a standard test.
Salinity: I picked up a refractometer, but also may have a great deal on a Hanna Salinity Checker. I've heard fairly mixed reviews though so unsure if I should purchase.
Everything else: I may pick up a Calcium Tester but am unsure, I'm not planning on going into LPS/SPS corals, so I'll play it by ear. The rest I have not seen enough to warrant a purchase yet unless I go into SPS/LPS.
Temperature: Will probably just get one of those ones that goes in the aquarium. The Bayite Should help out with temp control.

In the Tank​

Rock: I picked up about 20Lbs of Reef Saver Rock. I may buy a bit more as I want to try and chisel some "shelving". The picture above is not the end layout I will toy with some setups as I think of them.
Sand: 40Lbs of Arag Alive sand.
Water: Locally there exists a place that gives out free Salt Water. I've heard pretty decent reviews on it so will probably pick some up and test/use it. If that turns out badly I will likely use my RO water with pre mixed salt.

Stocking​

For the non fish, I'm planning on some soft corals and macro algae. Macros are actually the thing that inspired me to enter the hobby and I want to try my hand at them.

""Plants""​

Macro Algae: (All of this is not set in stone) Blue Hypnea, Gracilaria, some green types perhaps. Caulerpa is not really obtainable where I live so I will like abstain, but would have loved to get some Caulerpa Mexicana.
Corals: I would love to get a photosynthetic Gorgonian. I think I will probably keep a couple islands for GSP or Xenia as I think both are beautiful (I am aware I will have to keep careful watch on them). I will probably get some Zoas. Other than that I'm fairly undecided on other soft corals to add to my tank.

Fish​

I'm really not sure what the limits are for what I can stock in this tank. I know having macros opens you up to having more stocking as nitrates/phosphates are in big demand for them, but also comes with the detriment that you can't have things that eat macros like urchins/some crabs/some fish. The below list are stocking choices that I would love to have, though I know some of these do not play well together, this isn't everything i'd put in just options I have listed/would love to have!

Things I would love to see in my tank
  • Yellow Clown Goby
  • Neon Goby
  • Hectors Goby/Court Jester Goby (i've heard the latter is finnicky if not aquacultered)
  • A watchman/pistol combo
  • Maybe a fishfish of some kind
  • Royal Gramma

Fish I think are cool but am not committed to​

• Longnose Hawkfish (this would be an easy yes but they evidently kill every invert ever so unlikely)
  • Chalk basslet
  • Talbot's Damsel (I've heard they are more chill but are still Damselfish)
  • Cardinalfish (I like the yellow striped and Banggai varieties but am unsure)

Ehhh Maybe​

• Clowns (Yeah they're cool but I just dunno if I'm into them)
  • Chromis (for the 4-6 you'd want in hopes they don't all kill each other I'm not sure my 45g is adequate?)
  • Possum Wrasse (Just because of the price and finicky nature, otherwise 10/10 in my book)

Inverts​

I love Inverts. They are what got me into the freshwater hobby in the first place. It's a shame that everything in salt water wants to kill each other/the same of their own kind. Depending on what fish I get I know some of these inverts are just not possible (such as a longnose hawkfish which would probably invalidate everything), but I wanted to list out my favorites! These are ordered from coolest/most wanted to least.
  1. Coral Banded Shrimp (sad that they are evil spirited)
  2. Red Galathea Crab/Squat Lobster (though I doubt i'll ever see one)
  3. Cleaner Shrimp
  4. Arrow Crab
  5. Porcelain Crab
  6. Sexy Shrimp
  7. Pom Pom Crab (Would be higher but I don't think they are appropriate for a tank of my size)
  8. Emerald Crab (Would be higher but all I hear about them are horror stories and that they also like to eat Macro Algae)
  9. Urchin (Algae eating machine, otherwise would be top 3)
I will definitely be getting some sand sifting type snails and some small hermit crabs (which i will give extra shells to hopefully stop them from killing snails when they feel the need for violence).

The Timeline​

Last but not least. I wanted to give an overview of my timeline as I think it's important and I want to leave it open for feedback!
Add water/heater/start flow: I will probably set up and get some bacteria starter and ghost feed the tank a bit to get the cycle moving. I will do this for likely 1-2 months with the lights off just to try and let it establish a good bit. If stuff starts to grow anyway I may introduce some CUC during this period.
Turn the lights off and start stocking: Hopefully 2ish months of cycling will help lessen the ugly phase. I'm probably going to start with a couple fish. I have a 10 gallon tank that I use for quarantining freshwater fish that I will likely break down and use to quarantine the fish I get. Unsure whether to cycle this one too or not, but will put some PVC piping in there and otherwise have a pretty basic setup (HOB+heater). Plan to quarantine any fish I get for 21-28 days. The first fish may well go straight in unless it's a terrible idea.
Macros: From what I understand, once i'm cycled and have livestock, I can start slowly with macros. I know if I start too early I will probably run into issues with Phos/Nitrate bottoming out so I may wait til I have some decent stocking.
Corals: I will probably wait 4-6 months for this as I know corals generally like a more established tank (feel free to correct me if that's not true for softies)
Beyond: If the tank works out eventually I would like to make small upgrades as I get good deals and get a little fancy with the monitoring!

Water Changes: I plan to do a 10% WC every 2 weeks and see where that lands me. I'll adjust as needed up or down from there!

And that about wraps it up for now. The rest of the build thread will probably be updates on my build as it progresses along later this month.
If you have ideas for stocking combos that I could do or any cool ideas/feedback please let me know. I love talking about this stuff and appreciate the conversation. As well, let me know if I'm making any glaring mistakes or missing anything super obvious! Maybe I just forgot to add it here, or maybe I'm just ignorant to the topic. Either way it's probably best I find out!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stuff in boxes sitting around right now, hoping to have it filled up and ready to go in the next week or two though!
Excited to see the tank once it is filled!!!

OP
OP
sheluligans

sheluligans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see the tank once it is filled!!!
Finally have all the equipment, just looking for the best spot to stick it and i'll be getting it up and running, hopefully this next weekend or so, been a killer sitting and waiting!

BrokeAquaurist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank but w/white stand. Found it on OfferUp, that stand still literally had the plastic wrap on it. Tank had couple minor scratches and I ended up getting it for 500. Fast Forward to today, I did a fish-in cycle as I had a previous 25gallon long tank. After 16 Days my levels were normal and I added a small Scopus tang to raise as I am going to upgrade to a 220 gallon w/in a year. I love this tank and Im about to add a mystery wrasse as well. My only struggle is trying to find a lid. I almost purchased one off of KrakenReefs however 250.00 for a lid on a 500 tank just doesn't make sense to me......If you find a mesh lid LMK and good luck if you have any questions I'll be here

OP
OP
sheluligans

sheluligans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank but w/white stand. Found it on OfferUp, that stand still literally had the plastic wrap on it. Tank had couple minor scratches and I ended up getting it for 500. Fast Forward to today, I did a fish-in cycle as I had a previous 25gallon long tank. After 16 Days my levels were normal and I added a small Scopus tang to raise as I am going to upgrade to a 220 gallon w/in a year. I love this tank and Im about to add a mystery wrasse as well. My only struggle is trying to find a lid. I almost purchased one off of KrakenReefs however 250.00 for a lid on a 500 tank just doesn't make sense to me......If you find a mesh lid LMK and good luck if you have any questions I'll be here
I bought This Mesh Lid DIY kit since i'm cheap (the 36x24) and so far it's pretty nice. Yeah you have to do some work to assemble it but otherwise seems pretty solid for a basic mesh lid.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back