Best Angelfish Frozen Food

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I am looking for some recommendations on the best frozen food for angelfish. I am going to be purchasing a flame angel shortly so want to stock up. I currently feed my tank LRS Fish Frenzy, live blackworms, Hikari Spirulina Brine, and Nutramar Ova. I have some Nori as well.

Through research I have found Hikari Mega Marine Angel and Ocean Nutrition Pygmy Angel Formula, but I am sure there are others.

Thanks

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would add in here that there are other options besides frozen. Here are flames aquacultured in Hawaii that eat our TDO Chroma BOOST. This video demonstrates that these animals can be raised on, and maintained on a diet that involves granulated and pelleted feeds. You can find this food at retail stores that carry Reef Nutrition products.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would add in here that there are other options besides frozen. Here are flames aquacultured in Hawaii that eat our TDO Chroma BOOST. This video demonstrates that these animals can be raised on, and maintained on a diet that involves granulated and pelleted feeds. You can find this food at retail stores that carry Reef Nutrition products.

Thanks for posting. I don't typically use pellet foods, however it's very possible yours might be a better choice then some of the frozen preperations available, I don't know. Does it contain sponge?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting. I don't typically use pellet foods, however it's very possible yours might be a better choice then some of the frozen preperations available, I don't know. Does it contain sponge?

TDO does not have sponge in it. Is sponge an absolute requirement for angels? Just curious.

-Chad

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything, TDO would be a good candidate for an auto-feeder, if you find yourself needing one.

Tenji

Aquarium Design + Build
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have never seen an increased response to angel specific foods, more or less it's great marketing ;)

You have a well-rounded diet in place already. Couple with the TDO from Reef Nutrition (especially in an auto feeder) you would be in great shape!

In this MACNA talk from last year, I discuss why we see angelfish and sponges frequently linked. Spoiler alert, it's not necessary to keep angelfish thriving long term.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have never seen an increased response to angel specific foods, more or less it's great marketing ;)

You have a well-rounded diet in place already. Couple with the TDO from Reef Nutrition (especially in an auto feeder) you would be in great shape!

In this MACNA talk from last year, I discuss why we see angelfish and sponges frequently linked. Spoiler alert, it's not necessary to keep angelfish thriving long term.

Great comment! Really solidifies what I have heard about angels, especially ones that are captive bred and are not offered any sponge matter whatsoever during the weaning and growout phases. We have a Singapore from Poma Labs. that is doing just fine with TDO, live copepods and Arcti-Pods.

Thanks @Tenji!

-Chad

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks austin, believe it or not I actually watched that video but didn't remember that. Good to know that I don't need an angel specific food with sponges. Btw, I don't know if it was from that talk or something else but I now look like a bank robber when I check out new fish in qt lol, it really works! I use black lens snowboarding goggles and a black bandana over my nose and mouth.

Tenji

Aquarium Design + Build
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I don't know if it was from that talk or something else but I now look like a bank robber when I check out new fish in qt lol, it really works! I use black lens snowboarding goggles and a black bandana over my nose and mouth.
It's always best when they don't know we're watching :cool: :D

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a blue and a french angel and they eat anything i throw in tank :)
i have an auto feeder for pellets
they eat the romain i put in for my tangs
and i do feed mega marine angel along with brine mises and mega sperila
have had both angels for about 2 years

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware of the Ocean Nutrition Pygmy Angel Formula but I'm interested in it now. I emailed Ocean Nutrition to see what specie of sponge is in the food. I will post back with the findings.

FaithKlim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely, I plan on utilizing an autofeeder once I get anthias so I will certainly consider this food. Thanks
I have 3 Lyretail Anthias, a multicolor Angel,& a foxface. I use Hikari Seaweed Extreme mixed with Hikari Marine S pellets in my autofeeder. They all love it.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Lyretail Anthias, a multicolor Angel,& a foxface. I use Hikari Seaweed Extreme mixed with Hikari Marine S pellets in my autofeeder. They all love it.
Nice I have both those pellets already as well, just haven't opened them.

satttheman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my Bandit and Bellus, LRS Reef Frenzy, Mega Marine Angel, PE mysis. If I'm not feeding LRS I just mix the cubes of PE with a some of the Hikari's.

Phiilip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an emperor and a flame angel and I use the mega marine angel on occasion. I also have an auto feeder with Neptune systems pellet food. I also use quite a bit of nori (right now two little fishes, but there’s other brands). It seems the nori is the most important for my emperor from my research when lacking a lot of sponge. The auto feeder is the most consistent food source for them (2x daily), with the other foods given more randomly. Had the emperor since he was about an inch long and now he’s probably about 5” long and in he middle of his transition to adult colors. He chases the flame around a bit, so it’s not the best combo, but they’ve both been in there about two years. Probably need to find a new home for the flame soon.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back