Best animals to control amphipod populations

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know amphipods are good overall, but I have too many and they are causing problems with my zoas. For example, I have a frag with 3 heads on it and a dozen amphipods. I blow them off with a turkey baster and they come right back. The zoas are staying closed a lot as a result. It's a 13 gal. tank with no fish and I would like the smallest animal that will control them. I have seen shrimp, wrasses, etc. mentioned, but what is the smallest? Thanks

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know amphipods are good overall, but I have too many and they are causing problems with my zoas. For example, I have a frag with 3 heads on it and a dozen amphipods. I blow them off with a turkey baster and they come right back. The zoas are staying closed a lot as a result. It's a 13 gal. tank with no fish and I would like the smallest animal that will control them. I have seen shrimp, wrasses, etc. mentioned, but what is the smallest? Thanks
Wrasse. Look into the smallest juvenile/adult size wrasse there is and get one as a juvenile. Expect to trade up when it gets too big and start the whole entire process over.
I used to have a huge pod problem with no natural predators. They are messy and molt and once they get a taste for certain corals they will start eating them.
I know the pod police are gonna come in and tell you otherwise but plenty of threads on Google search to prove that and I've seen it first hand.
I just added juvenile leopard to a 26 gallon shallow frag table.
Pods scurry and he snatches them right out of water column as they see him coming:)
20210328_083639.jpg

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pterodactyls

And wrasses ;) I am actually watching first hand right now to see if my pink streaked is going to go after the bigger critters like this. Introduced it to the DT yesterday, it’s a little small but plucky

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
small wrasses
mandarins and other dragonettes
scooter blenny
copperband and longnose butterflies

Back