Best animals to control amphipod populations

BRS

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
I know amphipods are good overall, but I have too many and they are causing problems with my zoas. For example, I have a frag with 3 heads on it and a dozen amphipods. I blow them off with a turkey baster and they come right back. The zoas are staying closed a lot as a result. It's a 13 gal. tank with no fish and I would like the smallest animal that will control them. I have seen shrimp, wrasses, etc. mentioned, but what is the smallest? Thanks

Corals.com

LRT

FrankNPeeps;)
View Badges
Reaction score
I know amphipods are good overall, but I have too many and they are causing problems with my zoas. For example, I have a frag with 3 heads on it and a dozen amphipods. I blow them off with a turkey baster and they come right back. The zoas are staying closed a lot as a result. It's a 13 gal. tank with no fish and I would like the smallest animal that will control them. I have seen shrimp, wrasses, etc. mentioned, but what is the smallest? Thanks
Wrasse. Look into the smallest juvenile/adult size wrasse there is and get one as a juvenile. Expect to trade up when it gets too big and start the whole entire process over.
I used to have a huge pod problem with no natural predators. They are messy and molt and once they get a taste for certain corals they will start eating them.
I know the pod police are gonna come in and tell you otherwise but plenty of threads on Google search to prove that and I've seen it first hand.
I just added juvenile leopard to a 26 gallon shallow frag table.
Pods scurry and he snatches them right out of water column as they see him coming:)
20210328_083639.jpg

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
small wrasses
mandarins and other dragonettes
scooter blenny
copperband and longnose butterflies

BRS

Do you care whether or not you have wave action in your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 99 42.5%
  • SOMEWHAT

Votes: 62 26.6%
  • NO

Votes: 69 29.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.3%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!