Best Bacteria for Cycling Dry Rock?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just setup my second tank, but it's my first time using dry/dead rock. I was curious what others thoughts are on using bottled bacterias to both help along the cycle and establish a diverse biome. I know Brightwell Aquatics has a Bacteria Starter Kit, but are there other options out there? And is it worth adding multiple brands/bacterias to get as much diversity as possible? I know ideally I would seed the tank with bacteria from another more established tank (such as my first tank), but I'm trying to avoid that if possible. Any feedback, recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fav recommend

Dan has swayed me on biospira simply because of all the experiments he’s ran in private message with it. Up down and sideways ammonia testing, nitrite testing, upper and lower end maximum density of biospira per unit of measure testing, cheap and easy to store. Of course Dr Tims works well, Fritz too

Dan showed me biospira does fast work, we have threads like this one where biospira carried the most reef life I’d seen for a dry start: the spira seems to be the winner. Dr. Tims if I had to vote based on raw post numbers has the most successful # of fish in cycles, I bet it’s the most sold by unit.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fav recommend

Dan has swayed me on biospira simply because of all the experiments he’s ran in private message with it. Up down and sideways ammonia testing, nitrite testing, upper and lower end maximum density of biospira per unit of measure testing, cheap and easy to store. Of course Dr Tims works well, Fritz too

Dan showed me biospira does fast work, we have threads like this one where biospira carried the most reef life I’d seen for a dry start: the spira seems to be the winner. Dr. Tims if I had to vote based on raw post numbers has the most successful # of fish in cycles, I bet it’s the most sold by unit.

Thanks for the feedback! Other than biospira for the cycle itself, are there any other bacterias worth adding just for diversity? Or is that something that simply has to come with time and the addition of livestock?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only with the live stock as hitchhikers and the local environ surrounding the tank and daily care details will carve down residents to the fitting clades over time, that’s my best summary of the handful of aquabiomics dna studies uploaded here

they did sample several tanks started with bottle bac and after the first year of buildup the original groups that carried initial bioloads have alternated into other groups and initial strains weren’t found. I don’t think it matters much on the initial additions, as long as ammonia control can be verified to rule out dead bottles pretty much any of the common cycling bacteria work well. In chat I just saw a red sea system cycle fail: he could not move ammonia down in the same timelines we’d shown a Dr Tims cycle to move ammonia.

perhaps that one bottle of Red Sea cycling bac was bad, we need more studies but that and mb7 weren’t on my list of recommended cyclers due to stumbles seen in chat works.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the single best bacterial boost you can possibly get is someone’s absolute best quality fist sized fully cured fully coralline live rock chunk out of a display reef, not the ocean.

if someone was selling Fiji reef water shots as bac refreshers I still think it’d sell well and I’d try some, but the aquarium-cured highly diverse live rock would just be a fitting and constant pump for adjusted strains better than most sources, as I see it.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my 130 gallon with 2 inexpensive bottles of Fritz Zyme9 and I put in two tangs.
No amonia and the tank was instantly stable.
Those tangs are still with me.
I had never cycled a tank like that and was amazed.
I swear by this stuff!!!

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just throw a piece of frozen shrimp in there from Kroger and wait. Cycle takes about two weeks but I know it’s good to go.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just setup my second tank, but it's my first time using dry/dead rock. I was curious what others thoughts are on using bottled bacterias to both help along the cycle and establish a diverse biome. I know Brightwell Aquatics has a Bacteria Starter Kit, but are there other options out there? And is it worth adding multiple brands/bacterias to get as much diversity as possible? I know ideally I would seed the tank with bacteria from another more established tank (such as my first tank), but I'm trying to avoid that if possible. Any feedback, recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Best one would be FritzZyme TurboStart 900, followed by Bio-Spira.

One of our members did an experiment on this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacteria-in-a-bottle-myth-or-fact.403226/

It is not really worth mixing it up, imo. Firstly during the cycle, you'd want to focus on the nitrifiers, and I find there to be no problems just using one type (either Fritz or Bio-Spira).

Then later, unless you are using established live rock, I don't really see the value either. Live rock contains such diversity of microorganisms that even if you dose every bottled bac product in your tank, it's probably not comparable.

I mean you can try, it could be fun to see what happens. But yeah nah.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back